The Student Room Group

Orthodontic problems

Hi, I had braces since year 8 until last month ( year 12). I had 4 extractions. Which I believe, to put it bluntly ruined my face. It's made my face much longer, I have barely any cheekbones. The whites show under my eyes, (like my lower eyelid is too low, so the white scelera shows. My nose also looks massive due to my retreated maxilla. My tongue barely has space in my mouth as well.

At first i thought it was genetics but I've realised it can't be, my parents have fine eyes and so do all my relatives, their noses also look much less bigger than mine. All of them did not have braces. It's because my palate is too small and my maxilla is too far back, due to the extractions early on. (I'm not saying extractions are bad persay, but in my case it definitely was). I have to also posture my head slightly forward so i can breathe normally, which is giving me slight back problems at the moment and if i try to put my head back, my lower jaw basically disappears and i feel my tongue in my airway clogging it up.I also have slight tmj and my back molars dont bite together. Is it possible if I could talk to my dentist/orthodontist to fix this, because it's currently depressing me quite a lot and I would've rather not had orthodontics.
Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I had braces since year 8 until last month ( year 12). I had 4 extractions. Which I believe, to put it bluntly ruined my face. It's made my face much longer, I have barely any cheekbones. The whites show under my eyes, (like my lower eyelid is too low, so the white scelera shows. My nose also looks massive due to my retreated maxilla. My tongue barely has space in my mouth as well.

At first i thought it was genetics but I've realised it can't be, my parents have fine eyes and so do all my relatives, their noses also look much less bigger than mine. All of them did not have braces. It's because my palate is too small and my maxilla is too far back, due to the extractions early on. (I'm not saying extractions are bad persay, but in my case it definitely was). I have to also posture my head slightly forward so i can breathe normally, which is giving me slight back problems at the moment and if i try to put my head back, my lower jaw basically disappears and i feel my tongue in my airway clogging it up.I also have slight tmj and my back molars dont bite together. Is it possible if I could talk to my dentist/orthodontist to fix this, because it's currently depressing me quite a lot and I would've rather not had orthodontics.
Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.

I would definitely speak to your GP, dentist or orthodontist about this- if it's affecting how you breathe then that'll be considered pretty serious I'd imagine. Orthodontics can change how people look a lot and I guess it's kind of inevitable that not everyone is happy with this change, but what your describing sounds like it could be a bit beyond that particularly if it's affecting your self esteem/mental health as well as physical. See them at some point and see what else they can suggest or do anyway, your orthodontist especially as they'll know most about it both in general and your case specifically.
Reply 2
Thanks for your comment, really appreciate it man :smile: .Thank you soooooooooo much, you're a great person for replying and I hope you have a great day/night. If you don't mind, I'll keep you updated on what they say to me.
Definitely go back and discuss this with them! I had 7 extractions to get braces and it's went fine! Yes orthodontist can change your appearance, but it seems to be affecting your health! It shouldn't affect your breathing so something doesn't seem right. I hope you everything sorted, it can't be easy for you!

Quick Reply

Latest