The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Blue Axolotl
Well you can't do anything else than respect his choice, otherwise you'll get the hate militia or your "transphobic" ass.

You can't have your own opinion, basically.

Yes you can and others can have theirs. It is not a crime to disagree.
Original post by ivybridge
Yes you can and others can have theirs. It is not a crime to disagree.

Yeah well I live in constant fear of being targeted by the mob if I speak controversy. Many people do.
Yeah well I live in constant fear of being targeted by the mob if I speak controversy. Many people do.

Well you shouldn't. It depends on the nature of your comments. There's a difference between spouting ignorant rubbish you know is harmful to a section of society, and having a valid, fair, opinion on an issue - controversial or not.
Well you shouldn't. It depends on the nature of your comments. There's a difference between spouting ignorant rubbish you know is harmful to a section of society, and having a valid, fair, opinion on an issue - controversial or not.

You don't understand.

No matter how valid a controversial opinion or how respectful that person is... the mob will attack it ad hominem.

If someone asks me "Are you a Feminist?" and I reply "no", I will get insulted, laughed at and accused of misogyny/sexism. And then the argument will go on and on, ad nauseum.

Leftists are the root cause of this, they are the mob.
You don't understand.

No matter how valid a controversial opinion or how respectful that person is... the mob will attack it ad hominem.

If someone asks me "Are you a Feminist?" and I reply "no", I will get insulted, laughed at and accused of misogyny/sexism. And then the argument will go on and on, ad nauseum.

Leftists are the root cause of this, they are the mob.

Oh do stop generalising; "Leftists" - no, it's just people. Anyone and everyone is guilty of this at a point.

Well that is wrong then. Although if you support gender equality, it seems silly to not class yourself as a feminist and the only plausible reasons for not would be because you don't understand the difference between radical and normal feminism. However, that is not a debate for this thread and the point is, it's wrong anyway. People shouldn't make a habit of acting that way.
Oh do stop generalising; "Leftists" - no, it's just people. Anyone and everyone is guilty of this at a point.

Well that is wrong then. Although if you support gender equality, it seems silly to not class yourself as a feminist and the only plausible reasons for not would be because you don't understand the difference between radical and normal feminism. However, that is not a debate for this thread and the point is, it's wrong anyway. People shouldn't make a habit of acting that way.

No generalisation here, at all.

I speak of radical leftists who seem to be monopolising what people can and can't say.

No True Scotsman, you're attempting to avoid being associated with radical Feminists by asserting that no true member of "real" Feminism would do such things as radicals do. I've repeated myself to almost every Feminist I've come across on the internet and in real life, ad nauseum.

We'll leave it at that.

"It seems silly", why does it seem "silly"? Is it because you don't understand that people can be for gender equality w/o being forced the Feminist label?
Correct. Does not mean it is the right choice.

Correct also. In your opinion my view is not right.
Of course I would!! :smile: I wouldn't become a parent expecting my child to live up to others' expectations and impress them and most importantly stopping them from being happy. :biggrin:
Original post by nadzworldz
Of course I would!! :smile: I wouldn't become a parent expecting my child to live up to others' expectations and impress them and most importantly stopping them from being happy. :biggrin:

Right because letting them getting bullied by their classmates for dressing like a woman is better than buying a costume that's meant for boys.
No generalisation here, at all.

I speak of radical leftists who seem to be monopolising what people can and can't say.

No True Scotsman, you're attempting to avoid being associated with radical Feminists by asserting that no true member of "real" Feminism would do such things as radicals do. I've repeated myself to almost every Feminist I've come across on the internet and in real life, ad nauseum.

We'll leave it at that.

"It seems silly", why does it seem "silly"? Is it because you don't understand that people can be for gender equality w/o being forced the Feminist label?

To be honest, half the people on here are just teens? If you legit think they're that deeply into political ideology you're kind of a joke. The majority just spout crap they learned in A-Level Philosophy and A-Level Politics, l.o.l.

Radical leftists aren't just leftists then - big generalisation.

Why do you have to use poncey phrases like ad nauseum? Just speak in plain English, wow. I know what it means before you start pulling that card. There's nothing wrong with what I just said. I think radical feminist ideology is an absolute joke whereas gender equality - the true meaning of feminism, is not.

Okay.

No, I think it's because you don't understand what feminism actually means. That's like saying a man who is solely sexually attracted to men shouldn't be classified a homosexual unless he wants to be. Truth is, that's what it is. Whether you use the label or not does not diminish the original point.
To be honest, half the people on here are just teens? If you legit think they're that deeply into political ideology you're kind of a joke. The majority just spout crap they learned in A-Level Philosophy and A-Level Politics, l.o.l.

Radical leftists aren't just leftists then - big generalisation.

Why do you have to use poncey phrases like ad nauseum? Just speak in plain English, wow. I know what it means before you start pulling that card. There's nothing wrong with what I just said. I think radical feminist ideology is an absolute joke whereas gender equality - the true meaning of feminism, is not.

Okay.

No, I think it's because you don't understand what feminism actually means. That's like saying a man who is solely sexually attracted to men shouldn't be classified a homosexual unless he wants to be. Truth is, that's what it is. Whether you use the label or not does not diminish the original point.

Because I can you absolute fruit cake. Don't tell me what I can and can't say, hypocrite.

Oxford dictionary definition of 'Feminism':
The advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Feminism is there to promote women's rights, nothing more, nothing less. Egalitarianism, something that I'm more inclined to side with, is about the equality of both genders - full stop.

You've now expressed, or almost expressed, another fallacy - black and white and it wouldn't surprise me if you came back with more.

You're on the verge of saying "If you're either a Feminist or you're wrong".

I'm sick and tired of people like you... you literally disgust me.

You're now on my ignore list. Good evening and goodbye.
Because I can you absolute fruit cake. Don't tell me what I can and can't say, hypocrite.

Oxford dictionary definition of 'Feminism':
The advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Feminism is there to promote women's rights, nothing more, nothing less. Egalitarianism, something that I'm more inclined to side with, is about the equality of both genders - full stop.

You've now expressed, or almost expressed, another fallacy - black and white and it wouldn't surprise me if you came back with more.

You're on the verge of saying "If you're either a Feminist or you're wrong".

I'm sick and tired of people like you... you literally disgust me.

You're now on my ignore list. Good evening and goodbye.

Fruit cake? So offensive... how old are you? 75 years too late, pal. I was merely saying that your choice of language doesn't make you look intelligent, it just makes you look like a complete ponce.

Precisely, "on the ground of the equality of the sexes." Can you not read now? :mmm:

It is there to promote the gaining of rights women do not have and men do. Men don't need a campaign for their rights, we already ****ing have them all. Why is this SO hard to understand?

Don't really get what you're getting at here so whatever.

No, I'm on the verge of saying nothing. I have said, in a round about way, "if you support gender equality, you are a feminist by definition and radical feminism is something completely different altogether." If you want to follow the line of argument that the radicalisation of the movement is no different from the original, then you might as well say it for everything. You cannot pick and choose. For example, why not just call all muslim's radicals and terrorists? Oh wait, because that is not what the faith is actually about. Funny that.

So deeply wounded, grow up you sad little boy.

Superb - adios.

Edit: Do you see how you did exactly what you were first complaining about? People attacking others for having different opinions and resorting to ad hominem statements. You did both.
(edited 8 years ago)
yup, as long as it was a good princess costume not a half assed one.

If your kid wants to do things like that i think you should let them. better than them possibly growing up to be fustrated or overly aggresive or homophobic ect. trying to force a gender onto your child can have manny negative effects. most children naturally fall into there expected sexs gender but they may choose to dressup as a princess. Its a fancyer looking costume than say a policeman
Omg your my new favoutite person!

im sick of people not understanding feminism. If you belive women should have the same rights as men for a feminist its not our fault that there are radicla feminits although maybe they where turned radical by piss heads like the person you replied to!
100% yes. Princess, fairy, witch, whatever, as long as he's happy
Original post by cheimcallyginger
Omg your my new favoutite person!

im sick of people not understanding feminism. If you belive women should have the same rights as men for a feminist its not our fault that there are radicla feminits although maybe they where turned radical by piss heads like the person you replied to!

Bae
Repression in childhood never made anyone less dysfunctional as an adult.
Absolutely!
Reply 338
Original post by ivy.98
Yes. Clothes/costumes shouldn't be gendered anyway

Alright, from now on you're only allowed to wear grey overalls, have your hair cut short and wear no makeup. :smile:
Reply 339
No, of course not.

Latest