Turn on thread page Beta

Declaring a magistrates 'summons' on Application form? watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short about 5 years ago I was pulled over by British Transport Police under the assumption that I was driving without insurance. This was wrong, as my insurance and the police both cocked up.

Was given 6 points + fine, and if I wished to dispute this to fill in the given slip and take it into the police station and would be given a date later on to appear in front of a magistrates. A year later was given a court date to appear in front of a magistrates, attended the court and provided my case to the prosecutor, at which point they decided to drop all charges.

However, would I need to declare this on my application form? It reads;

You must declare all convictions for past offences, formal cautions by Police (including cautions as a juvenile i.e. less than 18 years) and any bind-over imposed by any courts. You should include traffic convictions e.g. speeding, drink/drive offences, fixed penalty for motoring or disorder offences. You must also declare any previous charges or summonses or currently outstanding charges or summons or pending prosecutions and any investigations, arrests or involvement whatsoever with any Police or any Statutory or Prosecuting Authority including any appearance before a court martial. You must include spent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Any failure whatsoever to declare any record or information as required above will result in the termination of your registration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Long story short about 5 years ago I was pulled over by British Transport Police under the assumption that I was driving without insurance. This was wrong, as my insurance and the police both cocked up.

Was given 6 points + fine, and if I wished to dispute this to fill in the given slip and take it into the police station and would be given a date later on to appear in front of a magistrates. A year later was given a court date to appear in front of a magistrates, attended the court and provided my case to the prosecutor, at which point they decided to drop all charges.

However, would I need to declare this on my application form? It reads;

You must declare all convictions for past offences, formal cautions by Police (including cautions as a juvenile i.e. less than 18 years) and any bind-over imposed by any courts. You should include traffic convictions e.g. speeding, drink/drive offences, fixed penalty for motoring or disorder offences. You must also declare any previous charges or summonses or currently outstanding charges or summons or pending prosecutions and any investigations, arrests or involvement whatsoever with any Police or any Statutory or Prosecuting Authority including any appearance before a court martial. You must include spent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Any failure whatsoever to declare any record or information as required above will result in the termination of your registration.
    Whats the 'spent' period after which you no longer need to declare this?

Next; I'd argue that you weren't summoned to court.. you used your right to trial before a judge rather than accepting the police penalty.

However you will still be liable to the: "You must also declare... investigations, arrests or involvement whatsoever with any Police".

Better to declare it and explain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Whats the 'spent' period after which you no longer need to declare this?

Next; I'd argue that you weren't summoned to court.. you used your right to trial before a judge rather than accepting the police penalty.

However you will still be liable to the: "You must also declare... investigations, arrests or involvement whatsoever with any Police".

Better to declare it and explain it.
    I'm not sure as to what the spent period is. The latter part is really vague, doesn't specify what kind of involvement with the police

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    The latter part is really vague, doesn't specify what kind of involvement with the police
    Well exactly..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.