Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What volunteer work is recognised most by medical schools? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to find volunteer work in care homes, nursing homes etc. I keep getting rejected
    I want to do some volunteering now since I'm in year 12 and if I start now I will have accumulated a lot of volunteering by the time I apply. This will show commitment
    But I can't find any. I could do it in a charity shop or something but I'd rather do it in a place related to care since a lot of medical schools ask for "experience/understanding of working in a caring setting"
    Any ideas of places I could volunteer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doculmc7171)
    I'm struggling to find volunteer work in care homes, nursing homes etc. I keep getting rejected
    I want to do some volunteering now since I'm in year 12 and if I start now I will have accumulated a lot of volunteering by the time I apply. This will show commitment
    But I can't find any. I could do it in a charity shop or something but I'd rather do it in a place related to care since a lot of medical schools ask for "experience/understanding of working in a caring setting"
    Any ideas of places I could volunteer?
    My local healthboard offers volunteering at the hospital- you could have a look to see if yours does too? Also, if there's a special needs department in your school or even just a mentoring scheme you could try there. Med schools only really want it to be in a care setting so I'm not sure if volunteering at a charity shop would be seen as a waste of time, but better than nothing I suppose. It is really unfair that they expect us to do all of this volunteering and work experience when so many places say no! Hope you find something though!

ReputationRep:
    Care homes and nursing homes have come under fire in the media with regards to staff abusing patients e.g. Bristol care home scandal. This is why they require people to have training in manual handling, etc.

You should make it very apparent that you are a prospective med student and you want to assist in simple tasks or just observe. If you have any relatives that are GPs they can organise it.

If push comes to shove you could try and volunteer at a charity that is associated with medical care and move forward from there after making contacts.

ReputationRep:
    It's much easier to get experience in a hospice or hospital than in any private sector nursing home. Hospices in particular only survive due to voluntary support.

Every hospital trust has a coordinator of volunteers, contact them directly.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between nursing care and residential care. You may already know. If not, research that and understand the difference. I think it's unlikely that a young person without any training would be allowed to assist in any productive way in a nursing home. Nursing homes tend to be a lot more stressful for staff too in terms of the amount of pressure to get things done on time with patients who often have a serious lack of mobility (lots of hoisting and manual handling) whereas in residential care (generally!) there is less hoisting and lifting and residents are much more mobile - i.e more time for staff to do other things such as activities with residents, chatting to residents - generally more time to spend one-to-one. As such, more time to talk to someone on work experience.

I would advise you to approach council run residential homes for observational experience. I think it would also help you if you offered something useful e.g. say that you would be happy to help organize daily activities (simple things like preparing coloring pens and books for residents and then sitting with them and joining in - the homes will have their own supply of things) or organizing games/quizzes/bingo (it's really simple but can make a massive difference to the resident's day). Make a point of saying that you're a prospective medical student and make a point of demonstrating your caring nature and what you want to learn/achieve from the experience.

ReputationRep:
    I have been volunteering at my local St Peter's Hospice charity shop for just over a year and I'm about to apply for a volunteer role at the hospice. I think this is a great thing to do, it shows dedication to a cause. Fingers crossed they'll let me!

ReputationRep:
    Try Special Needs Schools, Council run Age Care Day Centres, any Homeless Shelters. Mental Health day centres or Salvation Army Hostels etc. Even helping at a Primary School or Daycare is worthwhile - ie. treating small children demands an understanding of how they tick.

As above, always make it clear that you are applying for Medicine from the start - you'll get more opportunities. You do have to be persistent, and you may have to suggest a role - ie. talking to dementia patients, helping at meal-times at a special needs school etc.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily "recognised" by medical schools but I think that volunteering with the NSPCC would look really good. For that Childline maybe? Shows you're caring and going out of your way to do it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.