Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been asked to produce this :
    You are to produce a critique of a game that you will be randomly assigned in week two. You will have no choice in
    the game and once assigned, there is no swapping with your peers. You need to critique the game using Salen and
    Zimmerman’s Rules of Play, the concepts of Cybernetics and also Game Mechanics.
    This critique is to be 2000 words and must be written objectively, with proper academic presentation and in a style
    appropriate for academia containing multiple references, written in the Harvard style.
    This must be completed and submitted on time, if this deadline is missed (With the normal 10 working days for ECs)
    the written report will not be marked.

I am not quite sure what needs to be done, nor where to start. Could somebody please give me a hint on how a game critique look like? Its format and content. Any help will be much appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Presumably from your course, you are familiar with Salen and Zimmerman’s Rules of Play, the concepts of Cybernetics and also Game Mechanics? If not, I suggest you become familiar with them. You are then to play a game and make a critique it based on these rules and concepts. So does it conform the ideas of meaningful play, design, interactivity etc?

It sounds like the essay must be styled in a certain way so you need to read up on that, and it might be worth popping to the library and sourcing a few books that you can reference.

In other words - there is more to this essay that you might think.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.