The Student Room Group

GATSO Experiences

Hi all, just a quick question to see if anyone knows or has any experiences of going through GATSO cameras and how they go off?

Was in Glasgow the other day being directed by my gf in an area I didn't really know, the road itself was was an old Glasgow Road very wide and quite quiet and was driving to the conditions around 38/40 in a 30. The camera itself was hidden in trees and the road was on a slope all in darkness, with this I only noticed the camera at the last moment and braked as soon as I saw the lines firmly. I think I braked just as I touched the lines or possibly before.

I'm unsure if there was a flash and my girlfriend says she didn't think there was one although she was in a world of her own, my questions I suppose are would I have definitely noticed any flash? Also whereabouts on the lines are the photo taken? For example would it take a photo on the first line or halfway along the lines?

General experiences of GATSO cameras welcomed also, if anything it has further intensified my confusion around speed cameras. I don't understand how fixed cameras at random locations aid road safety. If anything all they do is catch strangers to the area and teach locals to slow down for 10 seconds. Personally I believe you drive to the conditions of the road which adapt all the time which may seem wrong to some although half 8 on a wide quiet Glasgow Road with a bus lane on either side and no junctions I would find strange doing along at 25. Again I could be wrong but I just feel they punish those who admittedly go slightly faster than they should be going but with an attentive and decent driving style whilst letting poor unaware and careless drivers away so long as they know to hit the brakes for 5 seconds or avoid that road altogether.

Anywho, like I said if anyone has any experiences or tips they'd be gladly received. Thanks
Reply 1
Well now you see the consequences of 'driving to the conditions' !!!!!

There is usually a reason its a 30mph limit, maybe not obvious to you, but THINK. It must be a built up area, so pedestrians, kids running out etc,etc Watch the TV ad, hit someone at 38mph they have a lot less chance of survival than 28mph, that is why the speed limit is there to PROTECT THEM.

The white lines are there so they know what speed you are going at from when you triggered the speed sensor previously, so they already know you are speeding. The camera gas got you.

Just wait for the ticket and expect to dig into your pocket for a fine or a course.

My tip to you SLOW DOWN and if you think you are a good driver, take the RoSPA Advanced Driving Test, I bet you don't even pass, a gold is at the standard of a police driver without the pursuit element.
Original post by pedmond
Hi all, just a quick question to see if anyone knows or has any experiences of going through GATSO cameras and how they go off?

Was in Glasgow the other day being directed by my gf in an area I didn't really know, the road itself was was an old Glasgow Road very wide and quite quiet and was driving to the conditions around 38/40 in a 30. The camera itself was hidden in trees and the road was on a slope all in darkness, with this I only noticed the camera at the last moment and braked as soon as I saw the lines firmly. I think I braked just as I touched the lines or possibly before.

I'm unsure if there was a flash and my girlfriend says she didn't think there was one although she was in a world of her own, my questions I suppose are would I have definitely noticed any flash? Also whereabouts on the lines are the photo taken? For example would it take a photo on the first line or halfway along the lines?

General experiences of GATSO cameras welcomed also, if anything it has further intensified my confusion around speed cameras. I don't understand how fixed cameras at random locations aid road safety. If anything all they do is catch strangers to the area and teach locals to slow down for 10 seconds. Personally I believe you drive to the conditions of the road which adapt all the time which may seem wrong to some although half 8 on a wide quiet Glasgow Road with a bus lane on either side and no junctions I would find strange doing along at 25. Again I could be wrong but I just feel they punish those who admittedly go slightly faster than they should be going but with an attentive and decent driving style whilst letting poor unaware and careless drivers away so long as they know to hit the brakes for 5 seconds or avoid that road altogether.

Anywho, like I said if anyone has any experiences or tips they'd be gladly received. Thanks

I recieved a letter last week stating I had driven at 47 mph in a 40 area, I sent the form back several days ago and hopefully I will be eligible to attend a Speed awareness course rather than getting points on my license

There was no camera flash either
Reply 3
Original post by wknight

There is usually a reason its a 30mph limit, maybe not obvious to you, but THINK. It must be a built up area, so pedestrians, kids running out etc,etc Watch the TV ad, hit someone at 38mph they have a lot less chance of survival than 28mph, that is why the speed limit is there to PROTECT THEM.

The white lines are there so they know what speed you are going at from when you triggered the speed sensor previously, so they already know you are speeding. The camera gas got you.

Just wait for the ticket and expect to dig into your pocket for a fine or a course.

My tip to you SLOW DOWN and if you think you are a good driver, take the RoSPA Advanced Driving Test, I bet you don't even pass, a gold is at the standard of a police driver without the pursuit element.

k.
Reply 4
Original post by I love life
I recieved a letter last week stating I had driven at 47 mph in a 40 area, I sent the form back several days ago and hopefully I will be eligible to attend a Speed awareness course rather than getting points on my license

There was no camera flash either

I don't believe they run speed awareness courses in Scotland where I live but if you get the chance it's a no brainer obviously to accept if you're offered. With a speed like that and a clean record if they do one you would imagine you'll be good to go. I was reading now some don't require a flash and use infrared technology although I think the one I passed was an old style GATSO still with the flash requirement. Good luck with the NIP anywho!
Reply 5
GATSOs flash twice.

Here's what they look like (at 00:40) at night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZazAGRxLw
Reply 6
Original post by wknight

Bah I know exactly the road he means. Big dual carriageway with a large grass verge on each side with good vis for peds, with 1 camera about 200-300metres from the roundabout entering the road. All the locals do 40-50mph along it. However all the locals know where the camera is :smile:.

The only reason its a 30 is because the knightswood housing estate is on one side & gartnavel hospital is along the road and VERY occasionally there are folk crossing. Road should be a 40 atleast, just as it is about 0.5miles from where the OP might have got caught.

Unlucky OP, just try to be more attentitive well your driving. The way I like to look at is; it may have been a camera this time but next time it could be a suicidle 8 year old running into the road. If you dont notice the camera to slow down you wont notice the kid. However if it didnt flash theres a pretty good chance you didnt get caught. Also its a really old camera that one so it might have no film/be switched off/someones put a sticker on the lense again, you never know, good luck! :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending