Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it stupid for me to pursue a Physics degree, purely for the love of the subject, even with no real plans to go into a related career.

I want to go into Marketing, because that's what I feel I would enjoy doing for a living,

I guess what I'm asking is, would I be ****ing myself over by deliberately pursuing a degree which I'm fairly certain won't lead directly into a job?

Also I'm from a fairly average income family, so it's certainly a big financial commitment, just thought I'd put that in for context.

ReputationRep:
    isn't that what uni's for? to study what you love because of your interest in it? you don't HAVE to work in something related... who said that?

ReputationRep:
    Do the degree in later life, as a hobby- if you can call it that.

ReputationRep:
    The best advice is do something yiu are passionate about

I think the key thing from an emplyers perspective is a high grade

ReputationRep:
    There are degrees that involve physics that will lead to jobs like engineering and stuff but it's up to you find what you would be happy doing after uni
    A degree in pure physics could lead to a career in research or teaching I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! I would love to do a Physics degree. Employers want candidates who express passion and genuine interest in their degree subject (if the question ever comes up) so go for something you would enjoy and be willing to dedicate your time to thus will also give you a better grade at the end of it too. Plus with a physics degree you can practically do anything you want.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.