Turn on thread page Beta

Inquiries about Vacation Schemes watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

I'll be reading law in university in 2016, and i've done some (aimless) research about Vacation Schemes to prepare myself for work experience in the future during the Winter/Summer/Spring.

I've yet to find a resource however that could explain all the intricacies of vacation schemes to a fresh student like myself.

Does anyone have any resources they could direct me to? or ideally answer them?

My situation now is that my mother wants me to help her for roughly 1 month at her business, but I want to place this month of helping her at the least consequential date during my first year as I'm worried about colliding with insight days / internship deadlines etc.

From my current understanding I should be placing this around December or April so that it does not collide with summer, but I've also read that insight days are around December / Spring period which eventually sets you up for a structured summer program. Can anyone possibly help me in allocating when I can invest my time without missing out important internship dates?

In addition, I've read that internships in the:
    Summer last 1-3 months and has their deadlines roughly around March to apply.
    Winter last around 1 month and has their deadlines roughly around August
    Spring around 1-3 weeks and have their deadlines roughly around November

I'm actually quite confused on the breakdown of these dates, and I'm highly suspecting that I've got a lot of the duration / deadline dates wrong!

The type of firm's i'm looking to apply to are Magic Circle firms

I hope someone can help or direct me,
    Regards

ReputationRep:
    Look at chambers student guide. I found it incredibly useful when I was starting my research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1) If you have to do the month's placement with your Mum, it is probably going to clash with your studies/revision if you don't do it in the summer. One vital part of an application form is getting good grades - don't jeopardise those at the expense of trying to gain too much work experience. Could you do the placement with your Mum this summer before you go to uni?

2) your placement with your Mum on a CV could look as good if not better than any legal work experience (especially if it isn't clear its your Mum's company). I wouldn't knock the opportunity.

3) a lot of the placements/programmes you are talking about you won't be eligible for in your first year. Most of the MC firms won't recruit you for their summer or winter programmes until you are in your penultimate year and/or final year.

4) No one will be able to give you a definitive list of deadlines because at the moment they do not exist. They could easily change next year. Wait until your first year of uni, go to your law careers fair there and ask all the firms you want to apply to when their deadlines are for the programmes you are eligible for. Then plan your applications off the back of this information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.