Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year of A levels, and I am doing:
    - Business
    - French
    - Philosophy
    - Creative Writing

I am also thinking about dropping on A level next year, and taking up another AS such as Media or Photography?

Do you think Universities would respect these choices if I got As in all of these?

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends what you want to apply for- any ideas there?

ReputationRep:
    "Creative Writing"? Never thought there was an A Level for that. Is it really better than, say, English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Totally depends what you want to apply for- any ideas there?
    Not sure what I definitely want to apply for, but I know I'm interested in:

-Business (PR/Marketing)
    -Journalism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    "Creative Writing"? Never thought there was an A Level for that. Is it really better than, say, English?
    Well it is an A level. It is a combination or english language and english literature and covers; novels, scripts, newspaper articles, journalism, plays and non-fiction etc.

You analyse texts like english literature and then make a portfolio of your written work.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lottiegrf)

-Business (PR/Marketing)
    -Journalism
    I would've thought that you should've taken English and Economics instead of Creative Writing and Business

+ What is Philosophy like?

ReputationRep:
    Depending on your grades and where you aim to go, choosing Creative Writing (which is less reputable) over an English (Lit is preferred over Lang) might hinder you. Look up "preferred subjects" of the unis you plan to go to, especially if you're thinking of RG unis, but if not, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottiegrf)

-Business (PR/Marketing)
    -Journalism
    Yep, well then I reckon you should be fine- try whatuni.com to see what people with your A levels did at uni. One thing though- if you want to get into journalism, do NOT do media studies. Journalism organisations essentially blacklist the degree, or some of them do (source: my mother works for the BBC) and you'll be much more likely to make a successful journalism career with languages or law. Languages look useful for all your courses tbh

ReputationRep:
    French and Philosophy are definitely good choices.

If your sixth form offers A Level Economics, I'd recommend picking that over Business Studies (Business Studies has a bit of a reputation for being soft, and some unis blacklist it). The same applies for Creative Writing - English Literature would be a similar subject, but is held in much higher regard by the top unis.

French, Philosophy, Economics, and English Literature would be a great spread, leaving you open for just about any non-STEM degree.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest French, Philosophy, Economics, english literature, and maybe maths AS. Have a look at 'Informed Choices'
    http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/...medchoices.pdf

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.