The Student Room Group

What do you think about my A level choices?

I am in my first year of A levels, and I am doing:
- Business
- French
- Philosophy
- Creative Writing

I am also thinking about dropping on A level next year, and taking up another AS such as Media or Photography?

Do you think Universities would respect these choices if I got As in all of these?
Reply 1
Totally depends what you want to apply for- any ideas there?
"Creative Writing"? Never thought there was an A Level for that. Is it really better than, say, English?
Reply 3
Original post by Romula
Totally depends what you want to apply for- any ideas there?

Not sure what I definitely want to apply for, but I know I'm interested in:

-Business (PR/Marketing)
-Journalism
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
"Creative Writing"? Never thought there was an A Level for that. Is it really better than, say, English?

Well it is an A level. It is a combination or english language and english literature and covers; novels, scripts, newspaper articles, journalism, plays and non-fiction etc.

You analyse texts like english literature and then make a portfolio of your written work.
Depending on your grades and where you aim to go, choosing Creative Writing (which is less reputable) over an English (Lit is preferred over Lang) might hinder you. Look up "preferred subjects" of the unis you plan to go to, especially if you're thinking of RG unis, but if not, don't worry!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lottiegrf
Not sure what I definitely want to apply for, but I know I'm interested in:

-Business (PR/Marketing)
-Journalism

Yep, well then I reckon you should be fine- try whatuni.com to see what people with your A levels did at uni. One thing though- if you want to get into journalism, do NOT do media studies. Journalism organisations essentially blacklist the degree, or some of them do (source: my mother works for the BBC) and you'll be much more likely to make a successful journalism career with languages or law. Languages look useful for all your courses tbh
French and Philosophy are definitely good choices.

If your sixth form offers A Level Economics, I'd recommend picking that over Business Studies (Business Studies has a bit of a reputation for being soft, and some unis blacklist it). The same applies for Creative Writing - English Literature would be a similar subject, but is held in much higher regard by the top unis.

French, Philosophy, Economics, and English Literature would be a great spread, leaving you open for just about any non-STEM degree.
Reply 8
I suggest French, Philosophy, Economics, english literature, and maybe maths AS. Have a look at 'Informed Choices'
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320/informedchoices.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest