Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you need Maths for medicine at AS/A2? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I am an aspiring med student however I am really worried about my choice of A-level: Chemistry, Biology, History and Spanish. Do you think I need Maths? If so, I could do Maths A level in one year in year 13. I have a strong GCSE background (10A*s and 2A's) and got 2A*s in both Maths and Further Maths GCSE. I didn't do maths because I find it mind numbingly boring, however I really want to do medicine so I would be willing to do it next year if it is necessary. The med schools I am looking at are UCL, St Georges, Nottingham, Liverpool..

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miapham09)
    anyone?
    Really sort of depends on the place. In a lot of places they want both regular Maths and Further Maths, but of course universities consider things holistically.

But for most Russell Group unis, yes, they'd be looking for a full A2 Maths. I suppose an AS at least helps.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    Really sort of depends on the place. In a lot of places they want both regular Maths and Further Maths, but of course universities consider things holistically.

But for most Russell Group unis, yes, they'd be looking for a full A2 Maths. I suppose an AS at least helps.
    Absolute nonsense. Nowhere wants further maths, in fact the majority do not view it separately to maths and so don't count it.

Hi everyone, I am an aspiring med student however I am really worried about my choice of A-level: Chemistry, Biology, History and Spanish. Do you think I need Maths? If so, I could do Maths A level in one year in year 13. I have a strong GCSE background (10A*s and 2A's) and got 2A*s in both Maths and Further Maths GCSE. I didn't do maths because I find it mind numbingly boring, however I really want to do medicine so I would be willing to do it next year if it is necessary. The med schools I am looking at are UCL, St Georges, Nottingham, Liverpool..

Thanks guys!
    You most definitely do not need maths. Unless you want to apply to Cambridge. Chemistry and biology are the important ones.

ReputationRep:

Please link to ONE university that states they require Maths and FM for medicine. Or just stop making stuff up which you know nothing about.

OP, your subject choice is fine for every UK med school except Cambridge, who want three sciences. Aim for AAA or better in the subjects you're doing, jump through all the other hoops, and you'll be in with a decent chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Absolute nonsense. Nowhere wants further maths, in fact the majority do not view it separately to maths and so don't count it.

You most definitely do not need maths. Unless you want to apply to Cambridge. Chemistry and biology are the important ones.
    My bad, it's definitely recommended by most places I've seen in RG at the least. Maybe not required but I have heard of it being used to discriminate candidates, happened to my friend last year apparently.

ForestCat is right though, Bio/Chem are the most important ones.
    Also remember that they look at things like UKCAT/BMAT as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Please link to ONE university that states they require Maths and FM for medicine. Or just stop making stuff up which you know nothing about.

OP, your subject choice is fine for every UK med school except Cambridge, who want three sciences. Aim for AAA or better in the subjects you're doing, jump through all the other hoops, and you'll be in with a decent chance.
    I already wrote that I made a mistake and that it was on recommended subject lists, hence my confusion. Goodness, nobody can make an honest mistake on this website, I swear...

ReputationRep:

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No,you don't.Chemistry and biology are the only necessary ones.The other two you pick should be the ones you enjoy,since getting the highest grade possible is what's important.
    However,if your applying to Cambridge, Maths might be a good idea or an extra science since Cambridge prefers students with maths or at least three sciences.
    Psychology doesn't count as a science though,so watch out!

ReputationRep:
    You definitely don't need Maths - all it would do is allow you to apply to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    My bad, it's definitely recommended by most places I've seen in RG at the least. Maybe not required but I have heard of it being used to discriminate candidates, happened to my friend last year apparently.

ForestCat is right though, Bio/Chem are the most important ones.
    Also remember that they look at things like UKCAT/BMAT as well.
    People at my old sixth form got in with just Bio, Chem and English so it's certainly not essential

ReputationRep:

(To reiterate - you do not need maths to get into medical school. Anywhere. Including Russell Group universities)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.