Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

About to start as pre-nursing HCA! Induction help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

I've finally been given a start date for my new HCA role on a cardio ward (it took 3 months from offer 😟) and I'm so nervous!

I've been told I have a 2-day induction and 3 days or so training for a care certificate before I start on the wards the week after. Thing is I'm none the wiser what to wear for induction/training week?

My manager's manager said my uniform is on the ward, but hasn't said anything about collecting it.

Also looking to get the Unloops from Clarks for work shoes! 😊

Would really appreciate anyone's input on induction/training and what to expect and what to wear!

Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl)
    Hello all!

I've finally been given a start date for my new HCA role on a cardio ward (it took 3 months from offer 😟) and I'm so nervous!

I've been told I have a 2-day induction and 3 days or so training for a care certificate before I start on the wards the week after. Thing is I'm none the wiser what to wear for induction/training week?

My manager's manager said my uniform is on the ward, but hasn't said anything about collecting it.

Also looking to get the Unloops from Clarks for work shoes! 😊

Would really appreciate anyone's input on induction/training and what to expect and what to wear!

Thanks all!
    Wear whatever you want to the induction & training, but somewhere in that you will have manual handlin & basic life support training, so make sure you wear comfy, flat shoes, and nothing like a skirt as they normally get trainees to lay on the bed and be moved etc as part of the manual handling training, and this would probably be undesirably revealing in certain positions you're being moved to and from (If that makes sense?). Jeans and a pair of trainers should be fine.

As for what to expect, expect sessions on information governance, health and safety, security, fire safety, safeguarding, fraud, equality and diversity... All the core topics/principles for healthcare.

Clarks Unloops are a safe bet - loads of the girls wear them

Hope that helps and it goes really well!

Joel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    Wear whatever you want to the induction & training, but somewhere in that you will have manual handlin & basic life support training, so make sure you wear comfy, flat shoes, and nothing like a skirt as they normally get trainees to lay on the bed and be moved etc as part of the manual handling training, and this would probably be undesirably revealing in certain positions you're being moved to and from (If that makes sense?). Jeans and a pair of trainers should be fine.

As for what to expect, expect sessions on information governance, health and safety, security, fire safety, safeguarding, fraud, equality and diversity... All the core topics/principles for healthcare.

Clarks Unloops are a safe bet - loads of the girls wear them

Hope that helps and it goes really well!

Joel
    Thanks Joel!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.