Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ISIS captures Mahin from Syrian government forces watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/1...0SQ1I620151101

ISIS has captured Mahin in Homs province after an attack on government forces. They've apparently pushed on and are fighting in the outskirts of a nearby town called Sadad, which is mostly Christian.

This whole area is west of Palmyra, and just west of Qaryatain, which ISIS captured in May and August respectively.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RFowler)
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/1...0SQ1I620151101

ISIS has captured Mahin in Homs province after an attack on government forces. They've apparently pushed on and are fighting in the outskirts of a nearby town called Sadad, which is mostly Christian.

This whole area is west of Palmyra, and just west of Qaryatain, which ISIS captured in May and August respectively.
    Good to see those Russian air strikes are working. If it was not for Putin maybe ISIS would still be taking territory.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Good to see those Russian air strikes are working. If it was not for Putin maybe ISIS would still be taking territory.....
    The town is close to a major highway and supply route, and if left alone ISIS could try to cut the road or even cut Syria in half by advancing towards the Lebanese border. I'm thinking the Syrian government and the Russians are probably going to do something this time, considering the town is more important than ones they've previously lost to ISIS. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm also wondering how the "Russia achieved more against ISIS in a few weeks than the US did in a year" conspiracy theorists will respond. Claiming that ISIS is in chaotic large scale retreat in the face of Russian air strikes, despite zero evidence of that on the ground and the Syrian army front line with ISIS being pretty much unchanged, and now they've actually lost ground to ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    To be fair the Western policy seems to be

1) slam Russia for backing Assad before sucking up to Saudi Arabia and selling off the entire country to China.

1a) Say Russia are bombing civilians before flattening a hospital. Also, if possible delay the Chilcot enquiry as long as possible so this pointless Middle Eastern invasion can continue.

2) Spend many years bombing but achieving nothing except flooding the UK, France, Germany with millions of migrants, some of whom are not only an economic disadvantage but a security threat. The economy part doesn't bother me-if you are going to bomb their homes give them one in your country.

However, ideally stop bombing them and then having to take them in and in the process force mass immigration and/or cultural change to areas where the voters do not want it. Not one bit.

3) Provide arms to rebels (Al Nusra) who immediately give them to AlQuaeda. Millions if not billions of pounds of tax payers money just given to terrorists.

4) Sit back and wonder why people are hoping Putin can get the job done.

I see your point, but for me Cameron and co have made such a pigs ear of the situation for so long, since Blair, that I am willing to give Putin a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Found another article (which includes a map). ISIS attacked with car bombs late on Saturday before storming the town. That seems to be a common feature of ISIS assaults.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34693670

(Original post by i<3milkshake)
    3) Provide arms to rebels (Al Nusra) who immediately give them to AlQuaeda. Millions if not billions of pounds of tax payers money just given to terrorists.
    Just to clear something up. Western trained rebels (I think it was divison 30, which is an FSA group) were attacked by Nusra, some defected and Nusra ended up with their weapons.
    Nusra is Al Qaeda. It wasn't Nusra giving weapons to Al Qaeda, because they're the same thing.

Weirdly, this happened twice. It happened to the first batch of 70-something fighters who were sent across the Turkish border into Syria, and later it happened again with the next batch that finished training. A complete shambles from start to finish really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.