Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

It's first of the month! What is your pre-breakfast mass? (Monthly weighin!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have just weighed myself using two different scales after calibration using a 10kg mass and my mass is 53.3kg.

This is down from the 53.7kg I was a month ago. My body fat (using the crude caliper method is: 3.5% - that doesn't make sense. Calipers are so inaccurate - I like kept doing it again and again and kept getting 2mm skinfold :eek: .

Can someone advise me how to use calipers accurately please? I must be doing something wrong. Is it better to do the fold at different points around the body or just to suprilliac?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    So I have just weighed myself using two different scales after calibration using a 10kg mass and my mass is 53.3kg.

This is down from the 53.7kg I was a month ago. My body fat (using the crude caliper method is: 3.5% - that doesn't make sense. Calipers are so inaccurate - I like kept doing it again and again and kept getting 2mm skinfold :eek: .

Can someone advise me how to use calipers accurately please? I must be doing something wrong. Is it better to do the fold at different points around the body or just to suprilliac?
    Aren't you male, and how tall are you?

ReputationRep:

6ft 2

Yummy

ReputationRep:
    6'4, 102.3kg
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    65 kg 5ft 8 up from 55kg last month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    65 kg 5ft 8 up from 55kg last month
    How the hell did you gain 10kg in a month? :eek4:

(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Aren't you male, and how tall are you?
    Male, yes, 5ft 8. Think I need to get myself on a higher tofu/protein diet which excludes meat and dairy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Male, yes, 5ft 8. Think I need to get myself on a higher tofu/protein diet which excludes meat and dairy
    I was very very ill and hadn't exercised at all really, I didn't eat much and then I've had a huge growth spurt and exercised and ate lots of carbs. However, It's really been about 1 month 2 weeks.
    when I say I was ill I mean operation :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    idk bc i don't have scales. If my school trousers fit then i'm good

ReputationRep:
    That's borderline underweight - you need to eat more.

ReputationRep:

Wat. You need to eat food, any sort of food.

Do you have a problem with your weight? You appear to have quite obsessive behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Wat. You need to eat food, any sort of food.

Do you have a problem with your weight? You appear to have quite obsessive behaviour.
    I don't think so. I have an issue with the excess tummy fat in my lower abs. Feel a bit fat there. I actually wantt to gain weight. Currently i'm 53.3kg and i'm eating healthily and exercising a lot but I don't seem to be putting on much muscle mass. I might need to start eating more beans or even supplement my diet with some hemp powder or something. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. I have an issue with the excess tummy fat in my lower abs. Feel a bit fat there. I actually wantt to gain weight. Currently i'm 53.3kg and i'm eating healthily and exercising a lot but I don't seem to be putting on much muscle mass. I might need to start eating more beans or even supplement my diet with some hemp powder or something. Hmm.
    Not sure if you are being serious...

You need to gain weight. Eat more. Exercising a lot doesn't just build muscle. What are you doing do try and build muscle? If the answer is anything other than heavy compound movements, don't bother telling me what you are doing. Go read the FAQ to get the basics on training and diet, after that if you have any specific questions start a thread about it.

ReputationRep:
    What do you eat in a general day? You've managed to lose half a KG in the past month despite being under 54kg at 5"8' as a bloke - you probably need to eat over double the amount of food you're currently eating.

It appears you have an unhealthy obsession with your weight (two different scales, calibration, weigh ins, constant reference to mass, body fat calipers and being unhappy with your body despie being underweight) and you could probably benefit from seeing your GP.

EDIT: Just realised you're a vegan, if this isn't all intentional and is actually a negative side effect you really need to do some research into nutrition and calories as your diet at the moment is probably shocking.

ReputationRep:
    What do you eat in a general day? You've managed to lose half a KG in the past month despite being under 54kg at 5"8' as a bloke - you probably need to eat over double the amount of food you're currently eating.

It appears you have an unhealthy obsession with your weight (two different scales, calibration, weigh ins, constant reference to mass, body fat calipers and being unhappy with your body despie being underweight) and you could probably benefit from seeing your GP.

EDIT: Just realised you're a vegan, if this isn't all intentional and is actually a negative side effect you really need to do some research into nutrition and calories as your diet at the moment is probably shocking.
    Hi buddy,

I'm of indian decent and have always been lean. It's a genetic thing. I eat a lot of food. Porridge/cereal in the morning, or tea and toast and biscuits, or beans on toast. For lunch I have 3 slices of bread in a sandwich with salad and hummus, with a banana and clementine. For tea i have tea and 3 rich tea biscuits or some other snack, and typically for dinner I have 3 chappatis and some curry with rice, or 4 chappatis with curry. On non curry days I eat stuffed peppers, stir fry, or even steamed vegetables. Tonight I am having chips and samosas, though I may try baking chips in the oven instead of deep frying it like I normally do.

I eat so much food if I was English I would be obese I reckon. I am just lucky I have a super fast metabolism and don't put on body fat easily. My current regime is to go climbing 3 times a week and a back/physio/cardio class once a week and I will be probably dropping a climbing session to take up yoga. I do light weights - 5kg per arm just for a bit of toning and weighted pull-ups and press-ups, but nothing like body building workouts.

PS: I'm not anorexic. I need just to eat more protein than I do. Under a normal fitness regime my protein consumption would be adequate, but because i'm training for say 10+hrs/wk I probably am burning a lot of fat/carbs and not really gaining much muscle mass due to not eating as many protein rich foods as I should. Unlike most people my goal is to put on weight, not lose it. The two scale thing was just to get a more accurate idea about my weight being from a science background, nothing to do with any insecurities, I assure you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    54kg at 5'8'' and you're looking to lose weight?

I strongly recommend you see a doctor, that's walking into eating disorder territory

ReputationRep:
    Hi buddy,

I'm of indian decent and have always been lean. It's a genetic thing. I eat a lot of food. Porridge/cereal in the morning, or tea and toast and biscuits, or beans on toast. For lunch I have 3 slices of bread in a sandwich with salad and hummus, with a banana and clementine. For tea i have tea and 3 rich tea biscuits or some other snack, and typically for dinner I have 3 chappatis and some curry with rice, or 4 chappatis with curry. On non curry days I eat stuffed peppers, stir fry, or even steamed vegetables. Tonight I am having chips and samosas, though I may try baking chips in the oven instead of deep frying it like I normally do.

I eat so much food if I was English I would be obese I reckon. I am just lucky I have a super fast metabolism and don't put on body fat easily. My current regime is to go climbing 3 times a week and a back/physio/cardio class once a week and I will be probably dropping a climbing session to take up yoga. I do light weights - 5kg per arm just for a bit of toning and weighted pull-ups and press-ups, but nothing like body building workouts.

PS: I'm not anorexic. I need just to eat more protein than I do. Under a normal fitness regime my protein consumption would be adequate, but because i'm training for say 10+hrs/wk I probably am burning a lot of fat/carbs and not really gaining much muscle mass due to not eating as many protein rich foods as I should. Unlike most people my goal is to put on weight, not lose it. The two scale thing was just to get a more accurate idea about my weight being from a science background, nothing to do with any insecurities, I assure you
    None of this genetics or fast metabolism stuff exists, nor is weight and muscle mass solely dependent on protein intake. Even with all your exercise, because you're so small your TDEE is still only 2.1k calories, whatever you're eating is inadequate.

You are clinically underweight and still losing weight.

If your diet/training regime is accurate, as well as your measurements I would strongly suggest you visit your GP for referal to a nutritionist or do some reading yourself.

ReputationRep:
    5,10 master race and weighed 13s8lbs yesterday (190lbs or 86kg)

ReputationRep:
    Believe what you want. I am not underweight. You should be careful with what you type on forums because some anorexic person might end up taking their life because of your callous posts. Be a bit more sensitive online because you never know the insecurities of the person you are commenting on.

None of this genetics or fast metabolism stuff exists, nor is weight and muscle mass solely dependent on protein intake. Even with all your exercise, because you're so small your TDEE is still only 2.1k calories, whatever you're eating is inadequate.

You are clinically underweight and still losing weight.

If your diet/training regime is accurate, as well as your measurements I would strongly suggest you visit your GP for referal to a nutritionist or do some reading yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't take offence to this, learn from it.
    I eat a lot of food.
    Clearly you don't.

I eat so much food if I was English I would be obese I reckon.
    No science behind this at all. I'm English, I eat a huge amount of food, I'm big strong and lean, not obese.

I am just lucky I have a super fast metabolism and don't put on body fat easily.
    You probably don't have a fast metabolism. This is a very common excuse used by people who need to put on weight, but are too lazy to put the effort in and eat more food.

I do light weights - 5kg per arm just for a bit of toning
    What the **** did I just read.
    1) You use 5kg per arm for what exactly? Saying you 'do' light weights for your arms doesn't mean anything, you didn't name any exercises.
    2) How do you expect this to do anything anyway? If you use an extremely light weight like that it isn't going to do much. And using the same weight without progressing it isn't going to do anything either.
    3) WTF is toning? It isn't real, you don't tone anything.

weighted pull-ups
    Yes! Keep doing these. Well done.

but nothing like body building workouts.
    WFT is a bodybuilding workout? You can build muscle doing heavy sets of 3 reps on the powerlifts. You can build muscle doing sets of 10 with accessory movements... The results you see from the bodybuilders shown in the media are more down to drugs and diet than the type of training they do.

PS: I'm not anorexic. I need just to eat more protein than I do. Under a normal fitness regime my protein consumption would be adequate, but because i'm training for say 10+hrs/wk I probably am burning a lot of fat/carbs and not really gaining much muscle mass due to not eating as many protein rich foods as I should.
    Really. What science backs any of this? You shouldn't be training 10+ hours a week if you are training properly. You are not building muscle because you don't know how to train, not because you aren't eating enough protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't take offence to this, learn from it.

Clearly you don't.

No science behind this at all. I'm English, I eat a huge amount of food, I'm big strong and lean, not obese.

You probably don't have a fast metabolism. This is a very common excuse used by people who need to put on weight, but are too lazy to put the effort in and eat more food.

What the **** did I just read.
    1) You use 5kg per arm for what exactly? Saying you 'do' light weights for your arms doesn't mean anything, you didn't name any exercises.
    2) How do you expect this to do anything anyway? If you use an extremely light weight like that it isn't going to do much. And using the same weight without progressing it isn't going to do anything either.
    3) WTF is toning? It isn't real, you don't tone anything.

Yes! Keep doing these. Well done.

WFT is a bodybuilding workout? You can build muscle doing heavy sets of 3 reps on the powerlifts. You can build muscle doing sets of 10 with accessory movements... The results you see from the bodybuilders shown in the media are more down to drugs and diet than the type of training they do.

Really. What science backs any of this? You shouldn't be training 10+ hours a week if you are training properly. You are not building muscle because you don't know how to train, not because you aren't eating enough protein.
    Geez bro, you assume too much :rolleyes: I am not weak and don't under eat and I do have a fast metabolism :rolleyes:

Today I did 2reps of pull ups with 30kg weights hanging off me. I weight 53.5kg so that's not bad in my opinion. I also did dips on my gymnastics rings, and a back lever. I also ate lots of bread, some fruit, burger, chips, and salad. I eat loads but I have small meals regularly and there has been research done which suggests that people who have the habits that I do generally have a faster metabolism. Also there is research which suggests people who eat spicy food have a higher metabolism. I eat lots of curries and spicy food.

Also indians are genetically leaner and lighter and generally have a faster metabolism than caucasians, so i read.

Anyhow, go find someone else to bully

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.