Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a powered pedal board with 6 pedals strung together. When one of my distortions is on and part of the chain I get a lot of extra feedback but when it's alone I don't.

I've troubleshooted the cables, power supply, and order effects to no avail. Not the guitar or amps issue as there's no feedback using the pedal alone.

The issue only occurs when two particular pedals are added into the chain: a chromatic tuner and a pitch-shifter. Even when these aren't switched on I get the feedback. Now these are two different pedals functionally and one (tuner) is years old whilst the other (pitch-shifter) is only a few months old so I can rule out pedal-type as well as wear-and-tear due to age.

I can obviously use my guitar fine but the additional feedback is a pain and why have a pitch-shifter and not being able to use it comfortably without trouble!?
    Any suggestions and advice is more than welcomed

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nicatre)
    I have a powered pedal board with 6 pedals strung together. When one of my distortions is on and part of the chain I get a lot of extra feedback but when it's alone I don't.

I've troubleshooted the cables, power supply, and order effects to no avail. Not the guitar or amps issue as there's no feedback using the pedal alone.

The issue only occurs when two particular pedals are added into the chain: a chromatic tuner and a pitch-shifter. Even when these aren't switched on I get the feedback. Now these are two different pedals functionally and one (tuner) is years old whilst the other (pitch-shifter) is only a few months old so I can rule out pedal-type as well as wear-and-tear due to age.

I can obviously use my guitar fine but the additional feedback is a pain and why have a pitch-shifter and not being able to use it comfortably without trouble!?
    Any suggestions and advice is more than welcomed
    You've kind of answered your own question somewhat.

Feedback occurs when the gain at particular frequencies is reinforced by a phase shift such that the sound output from the loudspeaker resonates with the guitar strings at that same pitch. This is exactly how notes can be sustained indefinitely if the feedback gain is critically controlled such that it induces oscillation without causing runaway feedback.

Because it's two particular pedals in combination causing your problem, it strongly suggests their tailored frequency response is summing to create the issue.

This is not a fault condition but just a combination that gives you this issue when used together.

The problems you describe suggest one of the miscreant effects pedals is not a true bypass and keeps active components in the chain even when switched out which gives too much gain at certain frequencies.

There are a few solutions you could try not necessarily in the order suggested:

a) place a passive bypass switch in parallel with the problem pedal. This is nit my first solution since you could end up with audible thumps as the switch kicks in or out.

b) Use a phase invertor button if there is one anywhere in the chain. You could try reversing the speaker wires in your guitar cab to achieve this.

c) Add a single channel equaliser into the chain and notch the frequency where the problem occurs a tad. (Parametric or graphic would do the trick).

d) Try changing the position of the pedals in the chain.

e) Try angling the guitar pick ups away from the speaker or change your position in relation to the speaker.

f) Turn down the gain of the guitar amp input.

Other than that, you will need to change one of the two for a different make.

The problems you have get compounded and the probability of occurrence increases with the more pedals/effects in the chain.

It's a caseof suck it and see I'm afraid. Hope you have success.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.