Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing between different Animation MA courses( UCA, South Wales, Northumbria, AUB) watch

ReputationRep:
    I would highly appreciate it if someone can help me out comparing the animation MA in the following universities in terms of what is the best one where I can enhance my animation skills and broaden my experience in terms of technical skills as well as managing and production wise. I am also looking for the most ones which would be connected to the animation industry. I come fro a 2D/digital animation background and have a basic understanding of 3D.

University for the Creative Arts (UCA)
    Northumbria University
    University of Southwales
    University of Edinburgh
    Bournemouth University
    Arts University Bournemouth
    University of Hertfordshire
    University of Lancashire

Thanks a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for Bournemouth University and AUB, having friends who went through both. They have excellent industry connections and place a lot of emphasis on practical experience. Sixty BU and AUB students and postgrads worked on the film "Gravity" from the professional studios based at AUB.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has been to USW (for a professional course, went elsewhere for undergrad and will be at Cardiff for post grad) don't go there.

The staff aren't helpful, the admin are terrible and it consistently ranks low. Personally think the University of Glamorgan was better before the merger. The one thing i'll give the university is that its buildings are amazing.

I'm not knowledgeable on Animation but in terms of uni prestige University of Edinburgh is probably the most prestigious, and Bournemouth is known for its arts capabilities, as is UCA.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with nohereos94. USW was much better before the merge (I did my undergrad there). However I was on the glyntaff campus so I'm unsure what staff of the treforest campus are like. Student satisfaction however doesn't seem to do well as staff can be quite unhelpful, although you can come across staff who are dedicated and willing to help you, best to go to an open day and meet the tutors for the course. All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendesmat)
    I would highly appreciate it if someone can help me out comparing the animation MA in the following universities in terms of what is the best one where I can enhance my animation skills and broaden my experience in terms of technical skills as well as managing and production wise. I am also looking for the most ones which would be connected to the animation industry. I come fro a 2D/digital animation background and have a basic understanding of 3D.

University for the Creative Arts (UCA)
    Northumbria University
    University of Southwales
    University of Edinburgh
    Bournemouth University
    Arts University Bournemouth
    University of Hertfordshire
    University of Lancashire

Thanks a lot!!
    Hi hendesmat,

My name is Gemma and I am a second year student at Bournemouth University studying Television Production.

Unfortunately I don’t study your course but being part of the media and communications faculty I know the animation course has an outstanding reputation. The course is accredited by Creative skillset and by studying the animation course you will be accredited by the NCCA: National centre for computation animation. Graduates have gone on to work on films such as: Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Interstellar, Gravity and Alice in Wonderland.

If you haven’t already done so, here is a link to the website to give you more detail on the course:
    https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study...uter-animation

If you had any other questions about the media faculty or Bournemouth in general feel free to ask
    Gemma

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.