Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get a chance to go there but i've heard good things about it and it was voted 1st by the whatuni student choice awards. is the accommodation and student life good and is it worth studying psychology there?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by raven48)
    I didn't get a chance to go there but i've heard good things about it and it was voted 1st by the whatuni student choice awards. is the accommodation and student life good and is it worth studying psychology there?
    Hi raven48

In answer to your question - it's a great place to study psychology, but then I'm probably a bit biased

It would be good if someone came along with some 1st hand advice, but while you're waiting, here are some links that will give you more info about what it is like here at Loughborough. We won University of the year, Best Accommodation and Best Students' Union at the WhatUni Student Choice awards, so we were pretty pleased with that because it shows that our students are enjoying their time here.

We have a choice of catered and self-catered accommodation.
    Here are some student videos about each of the halls and what they think. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/videos/

And you can get more information about each hall here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/camp...graduatehalls/

Social life on campus is amazing - visit http://www.lsu.co.uk/ for more info on this.

The psychology courses themselves have access to some of the very best teaching and learning environments available.
    Have a look here for more info on all the psychology courses we offer: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...ts/psychology/

If you've got any specific questions, let me know and I'll happily answer them.
    Good luck with making your decision on where to study - it's hard when there is so much choice out there!

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi raven48

In answer to your question - it's a great place to study psychology, but then I'm probably a bit biased

It would be good if someone came along with some 1st hand advice, but while you're waiting, here are some links that will give you more info about what it is like here at Loughborough. We won University of the year, Best Accommodation and Best Students' Union at the WhatUni Student Choice awards, so we were pretty pleased with that because it shows that our students are enjoying their time here.

We have a choice of catered and self-catered accommodation.
    Here are some student videos about each of the halls and what they think. http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/campus-living/accommodation/halls/videos/

And you can get more information about each hall here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/camp...graduatehalls/

Social life on campus is amazing - visit http://www.lsu.co.uk/ for more info on this.

The psychology courses themselves have access to some of the very best teaching and learning environments available.
    Have a look here for more info on all the psychology courses we offer: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...ts/psychology/

If you've got any specific questions, let me know and I'll happily answer them.
    Good luck with making your decision on where to study - it's hard when there is so much choice out there!

Vicky
    how diverse is loguhborough? Are there alot of ethnic minorities at the uni?

Just wondering
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    how diverse is loguhborough? Are there alot of ethnic minorities at the uni?

Just wondering
    Hi scrawlx101

I have been looking into some figures for you here. Loughborough is a very diverse university and we have students from all over the world. Currently, we have 134 countries and 140 nationalities represented on campus

Thanks
    Amy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi scrawlx101

I have been looking into some figures for you here. Loughborough is a very diverse university and we have students from all over the world. Currently, we have 134 countries and 140 nationalities represented on campus

Thanks
    Amy
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    My sister studied psychology at Loughborough, she loved it. Said it was fab. Depends what's important to you really.... I think its much better being in a town (hence why I am in Nottingham) but it's a nice place. I visited my sister there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    My sister studied psychology at Loughborough, she loved it. Said it was fab. Depends what's important to you really.... I think its much better being in a town (hence why I am in Nottingham) but it's a nice place. I visited my sister there.
    hows the diversity there in her opinion?
    Was she abble to pick modules from other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    hows the diversity there in her opinion?
    Was she abble to pick modules from other subjects?
    Being completely honest with you, Loughborough is not a very diverse uni. Yes, as Loughborough said, they might have a lot of countries represented, but the percentage of international students is not that high. Universities like Edinborough are more diverse. If this is important to you, I recommend you do some thorough research before applying anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBankinator)
    Being completely honest with you, Loughborough is not a very diverse uni. Yes, as Loughborough said, they might have a lot of countries represented, but the percentage of international students is not that high. Universities like Edinborough are more diverse. If this is important to you, I recommend you do some thorough research before applying anywhere.
    Probably wont firm there as i dont think i'll get AAB plus if i do im happy to go someone else as there are better unis than loughborough for psycho at AAB i could go through with at adjustment i hope

Applying to:
    East Anglia
    Portsmouth
    Essex
    Liverpool
    Loughborough

Diversity is important but i already know i'll be a minority outside of London seeing as im black anyway? I like loughborough's placement option though but i guess if i talked to some of the lecturers i might be able to sort out a summer placement to do when im at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Probably wont firm there as i dont think i'll get AAB plus if i do im happy to go someone else as there are better unis than loughborough for psycho at AAB i could go through with at adjustment i hope

Applying to:
    East Anglia
    Portsmouth
    Essex
    Liverpool
    Loughborough

Diversity is important but i already know i'll be a minority outside of London seeing as im black anyway? I like loughborough's placement option though but i guess if i talked to some of the lecturers i might be able to sort out a summer placement to do when im at uni?
    Hello,
    I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex and I really enjoy it.
    Feel free to ask any questions

Natalie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie.1)
    Hello,
    I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex and I really enjoy it.
    Feel free to ask any questions

Natalie.
    can you pick modules from other subjects e.g. creative writing?

ReputationRep:
    can you pick modules from other subjects e.g. creative writing?
    Hiya, I study Psychology too at Essex. In first year you can pick an optional module which can be from a range of other departments- I picked a sociology module called crime law and society and loved it! In second year you don't get any optional module choices, but the modules you would be studying are varied from social to developmental to cognitive etc so its still really interesting. And when you make it to final year you get to pick all of your options! and some of these can be from a large range of other departments- I found it incredibly exciting being able to pick every one of my modules and now several weeks in to my final year I am loving all the modules I've chosen!
    Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have!
    ^Sharmila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharmila_Student)
    Hiya, I study Psychology too at Essex. In first year you can pick an optional module which can be from a range of other departments- I picked a sociology module called crime law and society and loved it! In second year you don't get any optional module choices, but the modules you would be studying are varied from social to developmental to cognitive etc so its still really interesting. And when you make it to final year you get to pick all of your options! and some of these can be from a large range of other departments- I found it incredibly exciting being able to pick every one of my modules and now several weeks in to my final year I am loving all the modules I've chosen!
    ^Sharmila
    are you sure? i cant find anything about this on the site?

ReputationRep:
    are you sure? i cant find anything about this on the site?
    Apologies for the late reply, I am sure that you can pick one of the modules in first year from a list and that they do have a range from other departments.

If you type in University of Essex Programme Specifications Catalogue into google and click the first link, search for your degree and click expand all, if you scroll down it will have all the modules in all three years broken down for you, and it says optional module from list in year one, and this is the module that you would get to pick when you start your first year.

Hope this helps!
    ^Sharmila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharmila_Student)
    ^Sharmila
    Hi i'm also applying for essex but when i looked on UNISTATS I found that there was a lot more exams than coursework which kind of worried me. What are exams like and what is the coursework like? Would you rather have more coursework than exams?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm also applying for essex but when i looked on UNISTATS I found that there was a lot more exams than coursework which kind of worried me. What are exams like and what is the coursework like? Would you rather have more coursework than exams?
    The exams in first year as far as I remember are multiple choice, and the coursework mainly consists of lab reports and essays. As the years go on, especially in second year the it does become mostly 75% exam 25% coursework, Personally for me I like it this way because I do like being able to be creative in my revision and exams tend to be marked more leniently than coursework, so you dont have to remember names and dates and all those intricate details that you would have to put in your coursework. on the other hand having more coursework can be good because you have more time to prepare the essay and get it to the best standard, and theres less time constraints then there would be on a 2 hour exam. Essentially its about finding what works for you best and picking whichever uni and course that best provides what you are looking for.
    Hope this helps!
    ^Sharmila

ReputationRep:
    "Is Loughborough a good place to study psychology?"
    Obviously it is - they offer degrees in Psychology.

If it is a good place for YOU is something only you can judge. Look at the course content (all three years), consider any extras like work placements or study abroad that may be on offer, and either go and look at the Uni/town or at least check the Open Day videos on You Tube. And please. look way beyond League Table rankings etc - they cannot possibly tell you if you will enjoy that course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.