Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Losing weight at Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was working out in the summer and since coming back to university I have not gone to the gym once. I feel very unfit and lazy but I can't seem to start going again. I have already paid for an expensive gym membership and I still can't seem to go.

Could anybody advise me on a beginners exercise routine or something to motivate me to go whilst studying?

ReputationRep:
    I can't suggest much in terms of a routine but I'd say this:

You already know why you want to go, you are your own motivation. Find someone to go with who'll keep you in check and make your goals realistic. Reward yourself for doing better no matter how small. Also I know you have this gym membership but why not start with just running? You can do that in the gym or outside. Just start slow and build up. if you find cardio a tad boring then use some bodyweight exercises such as push ups, squats, crunches etc.

If all you're worried about is weight though then focus on your diet. It's how much you eat which is the main driver of weight change.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps see if you can join a club/society? That way it might be more fun you're doing it with others and not by yourself. Alternatively, maybe you could find a 'weight loss budy' in the student union? Someone who is also looking to lose weight and is willing to workout with you and who can encourage you (and you encourage them) to eat better and exercise
    To be honest, even if you do a 20 minute walk after you've eaten your dinner, that'll make a difference - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Me and my female housemates went to the gym all together and I lost loads of weight. We all motivated each other and it's a fun outing too, so try and get some friends to do it with you (although if a membership is pricey it might be difficult...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat146)
    I was working out in the summer and since coming back to university I have not gone to the gym once. I feel very unfit and lazy but I can't seem to start going again. I have already paid for an expensive gym membership and I still can't seem to go.

Could anybody advise me on a beginners exercise routine or something to motivate me to go whilst studying?
    losing weight has more to do with what you eat. Eat healthy and hopefully that will motivate you to go to the gym. Or you can find a gym partner that might motivate you to start working out.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean man, motivation is everything, i just watch workout videos for motivation also as said above try going with friends, they would help you

ReputationRep:
    its not hard....
    i lost about 6 pounds without even trying, just stopped eating as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat146)

what are your goals? im a personal trainor xxx

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.