Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really don't know where to turn! My daughter started 6th form in sept 2014. She had/s a lot of issues resulting in her doing badly. She changed her courses sept 2015 and was to start her 2 years again. She seemed to be so much better and was doing well then 1 month into the year they closed year 12 saying they didn't have enough students in their classes. She was devistated and quickly had to move to another college where she is now behind and mentally can't cope with it all. She wants to give up, not just college but everything. My question is would it be possible for her to wait until September 2016 and start on A Level and Btec, 2 year course. She would be 18 starting and 20 when she finishes" I know it is a long shot but I am so worried about her and don't want her to go the wrong path, she is very capable. I could get a doctors note for the education department is necessary. Thanktyou in advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misty1996)
    Hi, I really don't know where to turn! My daughter started 6th form in sept 2014. She had/s a lot of issues resulting in her doing badly. She changed her courses sept 2015 and was to start her 2 years again. She seemed to be so much better and was doing well then 1 month into the year they closed year 12 saying they didn't have enough students in their classes. She was devistated and quickly had to move to another college where she is now behind and mentally can't cope with it all. She wants to give up, not just college but everything. My question is would it be possible for her to wait until September 2016 and start on A Level and Btec, 2 year course. She would be 18 starting and 20 when she finishes" I know it is a long shot but I am so worried about her and don't want her to go the wrong path, she is very capable. I could get a doctors note for the education department is necessary. Thanktyou in advance for your help.
    You should contact local colleges to discuss it. As she will not have successfully completed full level 3 study and has extenuating circumstances it shouldn't be a problem that she will be 19 before she finishes her study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=gdunne42;60321811]You should contact local colleges to discuss it. As she will not have successfully completed full level 3 study and has extenuating circumstances it shouldn't be a problem that she will be 19 before she finishes her study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou I will do that but she would be 20 when she finishes do you think that would still be ok?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Misty1996)
    Thankyou I will do that but she would be 20 when she finishes do you think that would still be ok?
    Her age will not be a problem. 1 in 5 students are mature (aged 21+), and quite a few are 20 (8.5% of all acceptances in the 2014 cycle)

UCAS acceptances data by age:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 20.16.22.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  122.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Misty1996;60321977]
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You should contact local colleges to discuss it. As she will not have successfully completed full level 3 study and has extenuating circumstances it shouldn't be a problem that she will be 19 before she finishes her study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you say, the principle is that those who are 19 or over at the start of their course should contribute to the cost of their education, but she will be 18 when she starts. Her circumstances, and the courses that she follows, may mean that she would also be OK if she was over 19 when starting her course.

Have a look, for instance, at the advice here:

http://www.chichester.ac.uk/Courses/...al-Advice/#o19

and

https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses/overview

(her A-levels will be level 3, and I presume that the BTEC is too?)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Misty1996;60321977]
    (Original post by gdunne42)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It should be ok I was 20 when I finished and toddled of to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your daughter is very capable then you dont have to worry about the short term. If she has had issues dont push her into anything. Let her take her time to decide what she wants to do. Just encourage her in anything she wishes to do. Think long term.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.