Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Flatmate's boyfriend moved in, doesn't pay rent or council tax watch

Announcements

Basically, my flatmate has moved her boyfriend in for a few months now. He has his own key, is very messy and doesn't pay any rent or bills towards the flat. He's not a student either and because the council don't know he's living there he doesn't pay any council tax. He says he can't afford to pay any bills and basically mooches off of his girlfriend! I don't know what to do, I've asked both of them for him to contribute something towards the bills but he's refused! Is the council tax thing serious? What could happen if he got found out? I don't want to go to the landlord about it but I'm not sure what else I can do

ReputationRep:
    if the landlord doesn't know about you should go to them about it and they can deal with it

(Original post by chelseafreak)
    if the landlord doesn't know about you should go to them about it and they can deal with it
    I would but I'm scared my flatmate and I could be evicted because of it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would but I'm scared my flatmate and I could be evicted because of it too
    i don't think you would be evicted for it as she was the one who moved him in

ReputationRep:
    The landlord isn't going to evict anyone, they will just give your flatmate a warning, they won't risk losing the rent.

Perhaps you could suggest that if he can't contribute financially then he takes on cleaning responsibilities to compensate? How do you pay bills? Can whoever pays them not just split it into four and ask this girl to pay half?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.