Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My life is in ruins HELP ME watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I got disappointing AS grades (BCCE) in Computing, Maths, Government and Politics, and English Literature respectively. I hated Computing and Maths and so I wanted to drop both of them, but I really wanted to do another year at sixth form so I could pick up AS History and come out with 3 A Levels before going to university.

I went to speak to the principle of my sixth form who told me that it was completely out of the question to do a third year and that I'd have to drop Maths and Computing and do Government and Politics and English Literature A2 whilst resitting English and a unit of my Politics, and picking up AS History.

And now I can't get into university and this decision has completely ruined my life.

My dream university is Leeds, and my predicted grades for last year were straight As, I really don't know how this all happened (apart from the fact that my English teacher was fired for being useless). Now I'm having breakdowns and fits of anxiety pretty much every single day and I'm literally losing it. HELP ME! What do I do?

Oh and I want to do Politics at university.

ReputationRep:
    Your life is not in ruins (if it was, you would want to be reading archaeology). You have had a minor setback.

Speak to other Vith forms/FE colleges in your area to see if they will take you. You are better doing 3 years at VIth form than simply trying to make the best of what you have. I don't think your VIth form is looking after your interests. They are looking after their stats and league table position.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people at my sixth form resat their AS year either at the original institution or somewhere else so your principal is really not thinking about your welfare. I did an extra year at a different college after my A2s weren't that great and I still got into a good uni on a stupidly high flying course *regretting that now*. Your life isn't ruined at all, you're still young. If you want to go to Leeds I'd strongly encourage you to keep one of Maths and Computing because they're the two hardest hitting subjects you're studying and Leeds is getting pretty high up (also some unis don't like it if you take an extra year so having a hard hitting subject will make up for it to some extent but I wouldn't worry because it's only dead high ones like St Andrews etc) . It sounds like you've had some bad luck and your sixth form isn't very invested in you but if you want to overcome it the paths are there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauratheexplorer94)
    Loads of people at my sixth form resat their AS year either at the original institution or somewhere else so your principal is really not thinking about your welfare. I did an extra year at a different college after my A2s weren't that great and I still got into a good uni on a stupidly high flying course *regretting that now*. Your life isn't ruined at all, you're still young. If you want to go to Leeds I'd strongly encourage you to keep one of Maths and Computing because they're the two hardest hitting subjects you're studying and Leeds is getting pretty high up (also some unis don't like it if you take an extra year so having a hard hitting subject will make up for it to some extent but I wouldn't worry because it's only dead high ones like St Andrews etc) . It sounds like you've had some bad luck and your sixth form isn't very invested in you but if you want to overcome it the paths are there
    What did you get on to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What did you get on to?
    Chem Eng. So, so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Chem Eng. So, so stupid.
    Why is it stupid? I thought Chem Eng had good career prospects?

ReputationRep:
    So you want to start your A/S course again with History, English and G and P. I'm just wondering about the reasons for your low A/S grade in English. You say your teacher was useless and I wonder how much effect that had on your grade. Did anyone else in your group do better than you? Was your low grade entirely due to your teacher? You say you don't know how the rest of your results happened, but have you had feedback from your teachers and how do they explain it? If they all predicted A grades, were they that far out for other students or was it just you who didn't get the predicted grades? The answers to these questions should give you some clues about what happened. Were you writing grade A essays for English in timed classwork, under supervision?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it stupid? I thought Chem Eng had good career prospects?
    Stupid for me haha. Apologies for not being clear.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid for me haha. Apologies for not being clear.
    Could you not start over?

ReputationRep:
    Could you not start over?
    I did pass first year but I loathed it so much that I just couldn't carry on with it. Just a simple bad decision. Glad I didn't carry on using up my student finance to end up failing second/third year and have fewer options than I do now.

ReputationRep:
    I did pass first year but I loathed it so much that I just couldn't carry on with it. Just a simple bad decision. Glad I didn't carry on using up my student finance to end up failing second/third year and have fewer options than I do now.
    But you could still get 3 years on SFE, am I right? Enough to do a Bachelors

ReputationRep:
    But you could still get 3 years on SFE, am I right? Enough to do a Bachelors
    That's exactly my thinking, hence getting out after one year because I get four years' worth in total.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly my thinking, hence getting out after one year because I get four years' worth in total.
    That's good, very wise.

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed my A2's and at AS I got ABCD, and then I got A*AA for A2. Its soooo not the end of the road seriously. With some determination, motivation and a few resits you can bring it back up easily, like I did. I never thought I would and I thought my dreams were over but I did it, and now I'm applying for medicine. Everyone has set backs. If your having set backs it means you were making progress before. (I love that quote haha) It's true though. Pick yourself back up and try again. You have another whole year to get yourself back on track. It's totally possible and within your grasp. I did it and you know I still spent a hell of a lot of time procrastinating and a lot of cramming- my year 13 wasnt smooth, but somehow I pulled it out the bag- and you can too Be optimistic !

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.