Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any books you think ought to be read by people in their early to mid teens. Perhaps books you think teach life lessons, books you found important as a teen, or even books you wish you had read as a young teenager.

I'm thinking mainly of novels here... Here are a few of my suggestions:

The Alchemist. Taken from Wikipedia, the book's main theme is about finding one's destiny. According to The New York Times, The Alchemist is "more self-help than literature".

The Stranger. A synopsis of the final part tells you all you need to know to fall head over heels for this book:
    Meursault finally accosts him in a rage, with a climactic outburst on his frustrations and the absurdity of the human condition and his personal anguish at the meaninglessness of his existence without respite. At the beginning of his outrage he mentions other people in anger, that they have no right to judge him for his actions or for who he is, and no one has the right to judge someone else. Meursault ultimately grasps the universe's indifference towards humankind which allows him to come to terms with his (spoiler).

The Picture of Dorian Gray for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    The noughts and crosses series by malorie blackman.

ReputationRep:
    The Diary of Anne Frank

ReputationRep:
    Pingu and Where's Waldo

ReputationRep:
    50 shades of grey
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nothing specific - just read widely and as much as possible.

The books have stuck with me from growing up are:

The Way of all Flesh - Samuel Butler (Year 4) No reason other than that it was the first "adult" book I remember reading.
    Wuthering Heights - Bronte (Year 6) A classic.
    Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck (Year 7) Still one of my favourite books
    Old Kingdom Trilogy - Garth Nix (Year 8) I just remember loving them
    Discoure on the Method - Desscartes (Year 8/9 I think) The first philosophy book I remember reading
    etcetcetc

My point is, it is more important to foster a love of reading than to have read anything in particular.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the Harry Potter series, personally!
    It depends what you're interested in! Reading classics are always good, but then again you might struggle to get into them as a kid. I think as long as you've joined the library and read widely and keep an open mind you're sorted. I only really broadened my horizons a few years ago and I definitely don't regret it, but I've always loved reading since I was very young. It's great now I buy my own books and I just order random new books online on Wordery because there's always discounts and free delivery, and then I can see if I like them!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I capture the Castle

Read everything by Jodi Picoult, she's a gifted writer.

The hate list

13 reasons why

ReputationRep:
    Twilight :giggle:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Jk!

Read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and 'The Kite Runner'. Both amazing books

ReputationRep:
    the humans by matt haig
    it's not that it's an amazing book, but the ending really gave me motivation to actually do something with my life
    which, you know, naturally i was already intending on doing but a little motivation never hurts
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    The Picture of Dorian Gray if you're about 17/18. Really opened my eyes to realise looks isn't important!

The Percy Jackson series. Good if you like Greek Mythology. But also shows you the importance of friendship, loyalty and one's role has in society.

To Kill a Mockingbird. One of my favourite novels ever!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    On the Road
    The Great Gatsby
    Of Mice and Men
    Pride and Prejudice
    Emma
    Rebecca
    Sense and Sensibility

ReputationRep:
    The Book Thief (beautifully written, set in Nazi German)
    American Pastoral (a gritty realist American novel with themes of home grown terrorism, how being the popular kid at school isn't as great a life as you might think)
    Life and Fate (a very moving tale, set during the siege of Stalingrad and the Holocaust discussing self-identity and features an amazing range of really well written characters)

Another one which had a significant impact on my life when I was 17 is The Brothers Karamazov because I wrote my personal statement for philosophy based on it, and I got accepted into all my choices.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.