Turn on thread page Beta

Is British society governed by people's feelings? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People feeling upset over the Syrian refugee crisis and a certain photograph? Change our immigration policy and let in an arbitrary number of refugees! Woman with a background of criticising Islam invited to speak at Warwick University, which may upset some students? Ban her (granted this was thankfully overturned)!

I'm not saying we shouldn't be a compassionate society, but are we governed too much by people's feelings?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it rules society as a whole, but it most certainly runs the NUS and their accomplices.

ReputationRep:
    “Do you know that one of the great problems of our age is that we are governed by people who care more about feelings than they do about thoughts and ideas.” - Margaret Thatcher

ReputationRep:
    This post has upset my fragile sensibilities. I am so triggered right now. You must be banned - how dare you challenge my worldview and expose me to controversial ideas! I need a safe space, I NEED A SAFE SPACE. Umm, this is like sooo problematic!

ReputationRep:
    we're governed too much by what we see on tv and read in the papers. And that is consolidated by only a few people/interests. That's more worrying to me, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually surprised about how open TSR is.

The "horror" stories about the NUS and allied organisations are quite scary. A lot of adults are quite worried about you kids (I know not everyone here is a "kid", but you get my point).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.