Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Think it's safe to say that Bournemouth are already down, but how do people see the relegation scrap going in general? Villa need to get their next appointment right or they'll be going down too, which would be sad to see.

I'd say that it's 2 from:

Sunderland
    Aston Villa
    Norwich
    West Brom
    Watford
    Newcastle

I told everyone pre season that Watford were a good side and would stay up comfortably, and so far they're proving that, but they have a nightmare run of games over Christmas and you can't rule them out. Same with Newcastle who have a decent side on paper but are so unpredictable.

I think Chelsea will have just enough to stay up too...

ReputationRep:
    West Brom aren't going down, more than enough quality up front.

Probably us I reckon. This is one relegation fight too many.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    West Brom aren't going down, more than enough quality up front.

Probably us I reckon. This is one relegation fight too many.
    I think if you go down it'll be a while before we see you come back, like Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc. Which would be a shame. Villa on current form will finish bottom easily but if they make the right appointment who knows? Palace looked dead and buried a couple of years ago before they got Pulis in, he got the best out of what was probably on paper the worst squad in the league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I think if you go down it'll be a while before we see you come back, like Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc. Which would be a shame. Villa on current form will finish bottom easily but if they make the right appointment who knows? Palace looked dead and buried a couple of years ago before they got Pulis in, he got the best out of what was probably on paper the worst squad in the league.
    It's gonna be Remi Garde. Hopefully he knows his stuff cos if we **** it up this time we are gone. Wenger seems to rate him.

We will lose tomorrow (Spurs away) so we'll be four points adrift, then the next two are Man City home and Everton away, so another two losses there, taking our losing streak to 9 matches. Tim Sherwood is a ****ing ****.

I'd kind of look forward to a season or two in the Football League I think, would be refreshing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think this could end up being one fight too many for Villa. I have no idea how good Garde is but he doesn't seem the type of manager you'd want in Villa's situation. We almost cocked it up when we got Pepe Mel. He just about got the job done but you wouldn't say he was the ideal appointment. I don't see how it could be anyone other than Pearson in an ideal world but, ultimately, I think Villa missed the boat a few weeks ago. Should've got rid of Sherwood sooner and got Allardyce.

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth, Norwich and one of Villa or Sunderland.

Bournemouth - arguably the weakest squad in the league and have been riddled with injuries. Will still give it a good go but... RIP.

Norwich have been poor. Worst team that's came to SJP in a long time, so poorly organised. No clean sheets all season, lost their last four games (two of them against relegation rivals), and a really hard turn of fixtures up until New Year. Could easy see them being bottom at Xmas.

Villa and Sunderland have obviously both been horrendous. Think Villa have taken a massive risk with Garde which will either be a masterstroke or implode spectacularly. Allardyce has his work cut out but you just know that come the second half of the season they'll be ticking over nicely, grinding out clean sheets and points. Will it be enough though?

Think everyone else has enough about them to be ok. Watford and West Brom already have a decent little cushion to fall back on if they hit a rocky patch, and they've both looked really solid anyway. Only other team I'd worry for is Newcastle. Vastly improved performances recently mean nothing when you've only won 4 PL games in 2015.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Far too early to call it, but I'd be amazed if Bournemouth finished bottom.

Don't get me wrong, they face an uphill task to stay up without Wilson, Mings and Elphick, but they are a decent and tidy side capable of getting points. Howe's a decent manager and they won't be the whipping boys.

I full expect Villa and Sunderland to join them.

ReputationRep:
    At the start of the season I put money on either Villa, Newcastle or West Ham (lol) to be related. I was probably overly confident about Bournemouth, albeit in all fairness to them Wilson injured for the season has been an absolute tragedy, I think they'd be more like 12-13th right now if he was still available. I fear for Villa more than them though if Garde can't work miracles, because I feel mentally Bournemouth will consider themselves the tenacious underdogs and once we get nearer to end of the season (assuming they're not cut adrift) I could see them doing a bit of a Leicester and winning a few crucial games if they're in the scrap. Where as I think for Villa...too many years now it's been a struggle to stay up, the moral is gone now maybe? You've have to think they'll lose their next two games so it just depends what else goes on, I fully expect Sunderland to go down. Bournemouth v Newcastle this weekend will be very interesting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by joey11223)
    At the start of the season I put money on either Villa, Newcastle or West Ham (lol) to be related. I was probably overly confident about Bournemouth, albeit in all fairness to them Wilson injured for the season has been an absolute tragedy, I think they'd be more like
    12-13th right now if he was still available.
    It's not just Wilson though they've had Elphick, Arter, Mings and Gradel all missing/injured for the long term. You take 5 key players out of any newly promoted side and they are going to struggle big time. Their team that played Southampton at the weekend genuinely looked like a League One side that had turned up for a 3rd round FA Cup tie.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's not just Wilson though they've had Elphick, Arter, Mings and Gradel all missing/injured for the long term. You take 5 key players out of any newly promoted side and they are going to struggle big time. Their team that played Southampton at the weekend genuinely looked like a League One side that had turned up for a 3rd round FA Cup tie.
    They were decent the week before against us, though.

They need Arter back and fully integrated soon. The biggest tragedy, of course, was Wilson's injury. He was on the brink of a call-up to Roy Hodgson's England squad.

If they go down, I'd expect Arter, Ritchie and Wilson to be picked up by mid-table PL clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Think it's safe to say that Bournemouth are already down, but how do people see the relegation scrap going in general? Villa need to get their next appointment right or they'll be going down too, which would be sad to see.

I'd say that it's 2 from:

Sunderland
    Aston Villa
    Norwich
    West Brom
    Watford
    Newcastle

I told everyone pre season that Watford were a good side and would stay up comfortably, and so far they're proving that, but they have a nightmare run of games over Christmas and you can't rule them out. Same with Newcastle who have a decent side on paper but are so unpredictable.

I think Chelsea will have just enough to stay up too...
    Sunderland and Villa. Big Sam won't be able to turn it round (though I'm sure he now he'll turn it around now I've said that).

If not Watford, I just can't see those 20 Deeney goals you promised keeping them up....
    Norwich have been trash too tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    At the start of the season I put money on either Villa, Newcastle or West Ham (lol) to be related.
    I can understand us and West Ham because they nicked our kit colours but what's our link to Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I can understand us and West Ham because they nicked our kit colours but what's our link to Newcastle?
    ......relegated, you know what I meant lol, don't take out your Villa related frustrations on me.

ReputationRep:
    This would be an epic thread for Lehmber, I miss him dearly.

Hope Sunderland go down, there is something about their jammy nature I'm not fond of. And Allardyce.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    If not Watford, I just can't see those 20 Deeney goals you promised keeping them up....
    Norwich have been trash too tbh
    Maybe not but their rock solid defence might just be enough. 5 clean sheets in 11 games is superb for a newly promoted side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Maybe not but their rock solid defence might just be enough. 5 clean sheets in 11 games is superb for a newly promoted side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They should be staying up tbh, exceptional defensive record, exceptional home record.

Sunderland, Bournemouth, Villa, but the dream is Sunderland, Newcastle, Watford imo, one **** manager, one **** fans, one **** owner.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They should be staying up tbh, exceptional defensive record, exceptional home record.

Sunderland, Bournemouth, Villa, but the dream is Sunderland, Newcastle, Watford imo, one **** manager, one **** fans, one **** owner.
    Why are the Pozzos **** owners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Why are the Pozzos **** owners?
    What 6 managers in 2 years or so despite excellent results, loaning out most of the Udinese squad who they also own to Watford to try to get them promoted, to the extent that the fa made new rules explicitly so they couldn't do it the next season after they failed to get promotion and they aren't bad owners? They're a joke, almost as bad as leeds just without the **** results which almost makes it worse tbh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What 6 managers in 2 years or so despite excellent results, loaning out most of the Udinese squad who they also own to Watford to try to get them promoted, to the extent that the fa made new rules explicitly so they couldn't do it the next season after they failed to get promotion and they aren't bad owners? They're a joke, almost as bad as leeds just without the **** results which almost makes it worse tbh
    How is that any different from spending a load of money which they don't have or loaning a host of players from the Premier League?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    How is that any different from spending a load of money which they don't have or loaning a host of players from the Premier League?
    The fact that they hold a monopoly over the supply of players and will only loan to Watford, and that the second they get recalled it's a completely different squad that didn't earn promotion. Anyway, I think teams spending loads of money to get into the prem is disgusting anyway.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.