Mathematicus65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is the difference between a tree and a spanning tree? Please could I have a simple explanation since I cannot understand those online.

My understanding of a tree is that it is defined to be a connected graph with no cycles.

Whilst a spanning tree is a tree of a connected graph that connects all the nodes in the original graph.

So how can there be a difference between these?
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Minimal spanning is where it takes the least amount of distance or any unit to make a tree. There are algorithms for this.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A tree that has some of the points, but not all of the points, of the original graph is not a spanning tree.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
A tree graph is a type of graph, in the same way bipartite graph, and complete graph are. And they refer to the graph as is, that is including all its vertices and edges.

A spanning tree, is a subgraph, it may, or may not, include all the edges of the original graph. A graph can have several different spanning trees.
Mathematicus65
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
A tree that has some of the points, but not all of the points, of the original graph is not a spanning tree.
Are you sure because my text book defines a tree to be a CONNECTED graph hence every node of the original graph must be included in ANY tree not just spanning trees
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mathematicus65)
Are you sure because my text book defines a tree to be a CONNECTED graph hence every node of the original graph must be included in ANY tree not just spanning trees
See the post above.

What you've said about connected isn't true (that every node of the original graph must be included).
Mathematicus65
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
See the post above.

What you've said about connected isn't true (that every node of the original graph must be included).
Okay thank you, I think I understand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.93%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed