Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I tell my parents I might have Severe Depression and GAD? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I'm new here so please be nice.
    I'm a teenager, I started Sixth Form two months ago but I don't know if I can continue. For a while now, I haven't been myself and I think that could be based on the fact that the chances of me having severe depression are very high. I know I have many of the symptoms that are commonly associated with severe depression. I think I also have Generalised Anxiety Disorder so this is making it harder for me to carry on doing A Levels. I know I need to go to the doctor's ASAP to confirm my thoughts but how do I tell my parents all this?

ReputationRep:
    First I'd like to congratulate you on being brave enough to recognise the symptoms and being able to tell those you trust about it, that's a great first step

Your parents love you and just want you to be happy. Just sit them down {one at a time, if you feel more comfortable doing that} , and tell them that you're worried about your health and would like to see a doctor about it. They will support you and help you through this. Speak to a doctor, and see if you need a formal diagnosis and what therapy/meds you need

Speak to your school, too, and see what they can do to help. It seems that part of the stimulus was at school {?}, so speak to a teacher you trust about it, and they'll help you through.

I wish you the best of luck. If you ever need help, or just someone to talk to, I'm here for you at any time. You shouldn't have to go through this alone

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, your advice really does mean a lot to me. But I'm concerned about sixth form as well. The holidays have almost ended as school starts again tomorrow, but I don't think I can face it. I want to make a doctor's appointment tomorrow but to do that, I have to tell my mum why I can't go school. I have already skived 3 days off as school makes me feel so unhappy. I don't feel like I can do A Levels anymore, I've always struggled with having self-belief and the motivation to work hard. However, recently I have zero motivation to do anything, things that aren't even school related...

ReputationRep:
    You need to pin down exactly what it is~ is it the teachers or the students or the workload or the work itself? Go to the doctors as soon as possible, and when you have more information, speak to the school about what's affecting you. They'll be really supportive

Think about what you want to do in the future, and make goals relating to that. As for self belief, look at all the awesome things you've done so far ~ think what you can do now you're older and wiser. If you're not interested in your a levels, that can be hard ~ are there any societies/schemes that you can help with in your frees. I find that sometimes the best way to make you happy is to help someone else

Just remember that how you're feeling isn't permenant, and it will get better

Focus on what you are interested in, and pick up something new if it feels boring or uninspiring. I started running, double benefit of a challenge and releasing endorphins {feel happy chemicals in your brain}

Spend time with those you love, and those who make you happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SourSkittles178)
    Thank you so much, your advice really does mean a lot to me. But I'm concerned about sixth form as well. The holidays have almost ended as school starts again tomorrow, but I don't think I can face it. I want to make a doctor's appointment tomorrow but to do that, I have to tell my mum why I can't go school. I have already skived 3 days off as school makes me feel so unhappy. I don't feel like I can do A Levels anymore, I've always struggled with having self-belief and the motivation to work hard. However, recently I have zero motivation to do anything, things that aren't even school related...
    im in the same place as you, well, i dont have depression but GAD quite possibly. ive been feeling really dizzy during college and everythings a struggle. its getting me down but im going to the docs wednesday, hopefully they can help. youre not alone! if u need to tlak im here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky628)
    You need to pin down exactly what it is~ is it the teachers or the students or the workload or the work itself? Go to the doctors as soon as possible, and when you have more information, speak to the school about what's affecting you. They'll be really supportive

Think about what you want to do in the future, and make goals relating to that. As for self belief, look at all the awesome things you've done so far ~ think what you can do now you're older and wiser. If you're not interested in your a levels, that can be hard ~ are there any societies/schemes that you can help with in your frees. I find that sometimes the best way to make you happy is to help someone else

Just remember that how you're feeling isn't permenant, and it will get better

Focus on what you are interested in, and pick up something new if it feels boring or uninspiring. I started running, double benefit of a challenge and releasing endorphins {feel happy chemicals in your brain}

Spend time with those you love, and those who make you happy
    I guess its the workload and my subjects, as they're not as interesting as I thought. Deep, deep, deep down I know that I can excel at A Levels and be a successful person. But, at the stage I am at, I feel like I am incapable of doing ANYTHING, whether it's school related or not. I feel like my life isn't worth living and I am a failure. I know I have to tell my mum about how I'm feeling but its gonna be tough. I've never been the type of person to express how I REALLY feel to anyone, well apart from one of my best friends. I just bottle everything up. I just feel so alone and worthless

ReputationRep:
    I guess its the workload and my subjects, as they're not as interesting as I thought. Deep, deep, deep down I know that I can excel at A Levels and be a successful person. But, at the stage I am at, I feel like I am incapable of doing ANYTHING, whether it's school related or not. I feel like my life isn't worth living and I am a failure. I know I have to tell my mum about how I'm feeling but its gonna be tough. I've never been the type of person to express how I REALLY feel to anyone, well apart from one of my best friends. I just bottle everything up. I just feel so alone and worthless
    You aren't a failure or worthless, please don't believe that. Think of all the people who love and admire you, even if they're not vocal about it. Have you done anything physical?

I'd recommend that you speak to your mum right now, trust me, talking about it will help. She will likely have noticed the difference and will be worrying about you ~ she just wants the best for you. The sooner you talk to her, the sooner you can speak to a professional.

Organise your time well and make sure you have "me time" a few evenings just to relax and do things with your family and friends. Make the most of your frees, but still spend time with your friends. Speak to your teachers ~ they want to help.

You're not alone or a failure, think of all the people in your life that love and care for you, and everything you've achieved so far will pale in comparison to what you will achieve, and focus on what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    You aren't a failure or worthless, please don't believe that. Think of all the people who love and admire you, even if they're not vocal about it. Have you done anything physical?

I'd recommend that you speak to your mum right now, trust me, talking about it will help. She will likely have noticed the difference and will be worrying about you ~ she just wants the best for you. The sooner you talk to her, the sooner you can speak to a professional.

Organise your time well and make sure you have "me time" a few evenings just to relax and do things with your family and friends. Make the most of your frees, but still spend time with your friends. Speak to your teachers ~ they want to help.

You're not alone or a failure, think of all the people in your life that love and care for you, and everything you've achieved so far will pale in comparison to what you will achieve, and focus on what makes you happy
    I just told my mum and she was supportive. But she doesn't understand that I don't want to do A Levels. She thinks that I need to try harder, despite me telling her that my mind tells me 24/7 that I CAN'T do it. I wish she could understand.

ReputationRep:
    I just told my mum and she was supportive. But she doesn't understand that I don't want to do A Levels. She thinks that I need to try harder, despite me telling her that my mind tells me 24/7 that I CAN'T do it. I wish she could understand.
    Have you discussed seeing an expert? I'd recommend doing that as soon as possible, as they will likely understand. & Find a teacher you trust to talk about it, and if there's anything you can do.

Your mum wants what's best for you, but probably doesn't know much about mental health and the pressures on us, so don't worry about that. She cares, and wants to help, even if she doesn't know how

Consider possible options, such as college or an apprenticeship, or if there is any way for you to retake year 12 or change/drop a subject. Remember why you enjoyed and picked your subjects in the first place, and don't overwhelm yourself with work. Burning yourself out early will not help anything, just make sure you understand everything.

Well done on telling her, though, it was really brave and it will help

ReputationRep:
    Have you discussed seeing an expert? I'd recommend doing that as soon as possible, as they will likely understand. & Find a teacher you trust to talk about it, and if there's anything you can do.

Your mum wants what's best for you, but probably doesn't know much about mental health and the pressures on us, so don't worry about that. She cares, and wants to help, even if she doesn't know how

Consider possible options, such as college or an apprenticeship, or if there is any way for you to retake year 12 or change/drop a subject. Remember why you enjoyed and picked your subjects in the first place, and don't overwhelm yourself with work. Burning yourself out early will not help anything, just make sure you understand everything.

Well done on telling her, though, it was really brave and it will help
    Thank you so much for all your support!!!
    It's worrying that I can talk to complete strangers about how I feel but not my own family

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all your support!!!
    It's worrying that I can talk to complete strangers about how I feel but not my own family
    You're welcome, I've been in a similar situation so I guess I understand perhaps more than other people do. Besides, you've spoken to your mum now, so things will start to get better

Please message me if you're feeling down or worried, and good luck and God bless

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.