Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm predicted ABC and have applied to two ABB after sending emails and talking to my teachers

Have swansea and queens belfast for BBB, does anybody know any well ranked/good employability universities that offer BBB?

ReputationRep:
    As an employer, we are more interested in the candidate and what they can do than the university they studied at. Sure, there are some employers, usually the more popular ones that discriminate on institution but if they are discriminating on institution one has to wonder what other discriminatory practices they unofficially operate.

My advice therefore would be to go to a university you think you would be happy at. One that provides the sort of environment that suits you and one that will allow you to flourish. You can worry about getting a job in a few years time.

To put your mind at rest, we have just hired some grads. One has a non-computing degree from a red brick university and the other an unrelated computing degree from a small regional university that was once a technical college. Both are doing really well!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    As an employer, we are more interested in the candidate and what they can do than the university they studied at. Sure, there are some employers, usually the more popular ones that discriminate on institution but if they are discriminating on institution one has to wonder what other discriminatory practices they unofficially operate.

My advice therefore would be to go to a university you think you would be happy at. One that provides the sort of environment that suits you and one that will allow you to flourish. You can worry about getting a job in a few years time.

To put your mind at rest, we have just hired some grads. One has a non-computing degree from a red brick university and the other an unrelated computing degree from a small regional university that was once a technical college. Both are doing really well!

Good luck!
    Hi,

Would you mind if I asked about how you select candidates for a job?
    What would you prioritise when it comes to selection, work experience, degree grade, uni reputation, soft skills?

Also what in your opinion, is the best form of work experience? I'm (hopefully) going into uni next year and so after first year, or perhaps during, I would want to do some relevant work. Would creating apps/flash games be a good way to go, or should I look at joining small tech firms part time?

Thanks!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Keele university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Hi,

Would you mind if I asked about how you select candidates for a job?
    What would you prioritise when it comes to selection, work experience, degree grade, uni reputation, soft skills?

Thanks!
    We are looking specifically for developers who have C++ experience. Sadly, there aren't so many graduates that have this so any CVs that contain C++ instantly get our attention and would almost certainly be invited for an interview.

During the interview, there is a simple test. Most software companies will set some sort of test. The tests range from pretty good (ours) to ridiculous. Despite its simplicity, you would be amazed how many people fall on their sword at this point. If the test is ridiculous i.e. tries to catch you out, question if you want to work for such a company.

From a personality point of view, our ethos is "Bright and gets things done". You can get some exceedingly intelligent people who are hopeless when it comes to the basics of meeting deadlines or contributing to a team effort. Similarly, you get the very incompetent people who are totally likeable doers but would just create more work than they clear.

Eyebrows are raised if we see prestigious universities, but since none of us are from Oxbridge we do wonder if they would fit in. Throughout my 15 years working in different sized companies, I have only worked with one Oxbridge chap and he was an arrogant @rse. My feeling is they get snapped up by those companies that can afford to discriminate. But there is enough work for everyone and having just done a stint in what some people might call a "prestigious financial software company" I can honestly say I have never been so bored in my life.

As for work experience. Anything relevant is good but don't discount personal projects that are of interest to you. I would rather interview someone who wrote their own website than someone who had worked in McDonalds since they were 13.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    leicester, city, brunel, queen's mary, aston, and essex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    leicester, city, brunel, queen's mary, aston, and essex
    leicester, qm ABB and essex not a fan

Will check the others, thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.