The Student Room Group

Redox reaction gamma rule?

Does anyone know what the gamma rule is when it comes to redox reactions and electrochemical potentials? Something to do with the direction of the reaction or whether or not it is spontaneous? I really do not understand it
Reply 1
bump anyone?
Original post by ErniePicks
Does anyone know what the gamma rule is when it comes to redox reactions and electrochemical potentials? Something to do with the direction of the reaction or whether or not it is spontaneous? I really do not understand it

A quick look at the number of replies received gives you a clue that maybe there is something wrong with the question as asked.

1. A google search of the term "gamma rule in redox" comes up with no relevant options.

It is clear that the term "gamma rule" is not widespread - indeed I have never heard of it - while use of electrode potentials to predict spontaneity is extensively covered (google et al)

Can you provide a reference?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by charco
A quick look at the number of replies received gives you a clue that maybe there is something wrong with the question as asked.

1. A google search of the term "gamma rule in redox" comes up with no relevant options.

It is clear that the term "gamma rule" is not widespread - indeed I have never heard of it - while use of electrode potentials to predict spontaneity is extensively covered (google et al)

Can you provide a reference?

heres a slide where they say to use the gamma rulegamma rule.jpg
If you look carefully the 'gamma rule' basically tells you the equation of the redox reaction. Look at the green line, it starts from Zn and it goes through Zn and H+ before it loops around to go through H2 and Zn2+. Gamma rule is probably something your teacher made up.
Reply 5
It looks like a version of the 'anticlockwise' rule, but rather than going anticlockwise it goes clockwise (since more positive is on top), as one (I at least) would draw a gamma symbol.

The anticlockwise rule is widely written about on t'web, e.g. http://www.rsc.org/Education/Teachers/Resources/Databook/int_anti_clock_rule.htm

Quick Reply

Latest