Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As requested, here is a place for discussion to continue throughout the season, given the success of the World Cup thread.

A very nice start for Saracens, I must say.

ReputationRep:
    In, but doubt I'll contribute that much. Barely follow the pro 12, let alone the premiership

ReputationRep:
    Tigersss Tigersss
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by judogainz)
    Tigersss Tigersss
    Looks like you might actually have a decent season this time around.

ReputationRep:
    We need to!

3 from 3 is impressive considering only two clubs have done that so far! Just shows how tight the premiership is going to be this season! Has anyone seen Jimmy Gopperth high ball challenge on Mat Tait?

ReputationRep:
    Actually feeling a bit optimistic this season as a quins fan, 2 from 3 that could so easily have been 3 from 3 against teams we would have lost to last season... going to, as ever, be a brilliant fight for the playoffs, especially given that it is a RWC year and so strength in depth is going to be important!

(Original post by matt1306)
    We need to!

3 from 3 is impressive considering only two clubs have done that so far! Just shows how tight the premiership is going to be this season! Has anyone seen Jimmy Gopperth high ball challenge on Mat Tait?
    That was stupid and petulant and should definitely have been a red card but I don't expect him to cop much of a ban, one or two weeks is inevitable I expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    That was stupid and petulant and should definitely have been a red card but I don't expect him to cop much of a ban, one or two weeks is inevitable I expect.
    Yeah I agree with that! And yes, Quins do look very strong this year, challenged my side in round 2, could of easily have gone the other way and made us dig deep in our pockets! Defiantly left me with a sore throat and a rough voice the next day anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with that! And yes, Quins do look very strong this year, challenged my side in round 2, could of easily have gone the other way and made us dig deep in our pockets! Defiantly left me with a sore throat and a rough voice the next day anyway!
    What are the Tigers' new signings like? Watching them play against Wasps, there seemed to be a lot of new players but I hadn't heard of any/many of them. They seem to be making a positive difference in terms of Tigers' results though... any been outstanding so far?

ReputationRep:
    For a moment I thought this was about the Super Rugby

Forgot the UK had their own league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeyK)
    For a moment I thought this was about the Super Rugby

Forgot the UK had their own league
    Maybe when the Super Rugby season starts then this topic will be discussing Super Rugby? Why would we discuss Super Rugby now? It is the 2015/16 Rugby Season thread, which will probably include Super Rugby when it gets round to it - I for one am looking forward to the Super Rugby season.

Also, the UK does not have its own league... England has its own league whilst Scotland, Wales and Ulster (Northern Ireland) take part in the Celtic League.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when the Super Rugby season starts then this topic will be discussing Super Rugby? Why would we discuss Super Rugby now? It is the 2015/16 Rugby Season thread, which will probably include Super Rugby when it gets round to it - I for one am looking forward to the Super Rugby season.

Also, the UK does not have its own league... England has its own league whilst Scotland, Wales and Ulster (Northern Ireland) take part in the Celtic League.
    Thanks for the info :five:

And I seriously wasn't joking about forgetting that the UK has rugby leagues
    I'm used to hearing about the Super Rugby that I thought it was just extremely early pre season chatting :facepalm2:.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Actually feeling a bit optimistic this season as a quins fan, 2 from 3 that could so easily have been 3 from 3 against teams we would have lost to last season... going to, as ever, be a brilliant fight for the playoffs, especially given that it is a RWC year and so strength in depth is going to be important!
    Fellow Quins fan here, and it certainly has been a decent start \o/

ReputationRep:
    What are the Tigers' new signings like? Watching them play against Wasps, there seemed to be a lot of new players but I hadn't heard of any/many of them. They seem to be making a positive difference in terms of Tigers' results though... any been outstanding so far?
    They're looking really strong and looked to have settled down really well. Peter Betham, wing/centre looks really dangerous with the ball in hand at all times. The two new locks, fitzgerald and williams look to be good back ups in the second row to Slater and Kitchener. Julian Salvis replacement has just arrived from ITM cup and apparently he's really strong. Not sure about Jonno Kitto, he didnt seem to do much for me but then again he's only been here for a week. Fonua, the big London Welsh Number 8 from last year looks like a good ball carrier although he's very loose at the breakdown, but he's broke his arm now anyway. We have so much strength in depth which is going to be good in a season like this and we are 3 from 3 with about 15 senior players to come back into the squad :O

ReputationRep:
    They're looking really strong and looked to have settled down really well. Peter Betham, wing/centre looks really dangerous with the ball in hand at all times. The two new locks, fitzgerald and williams look to be good back ups in the second row to Slater and Kitchener. Julian Salvis replacement has just arrived from ITM cup and apparently he's really strong. Not sure about Jonno Kitto, he didnt seem to do much for me but then again he's only been here for a week. Fonua, the big London Welsh Number 8 from last year looks like a good ball carrier although he's very loose at the breakdown, but he's broke his arm now anyway. We have so much strength in depth which is going to be good in a season like this and we are 3 from 3 with about 15 senior players to come back into the squad :O
    Putting it like that, that sounds ominously good...

What's everyone's early shout for the playoffs? Mine might be Sarries, Tigers, Quins, Chiefs: is that realistic or am I hoping for too much from Quins?

ReputationRep:
    We'll have no talk about that touch rugby for northerners in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Agreed, although if you're referring to the reference to Super Rugby I reassure you that Super Rugby is very different to Super League...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Putting it like that, that sounds ominously good...

What's everyone's early shout for the playoffs? Mine might be Sarries, Tigers, Quins, Chiefs: is that realistic or am I hoping for too much from Quins?
    I'm not sure you can rule out Northampton and Bath. I still don't back Exeter to get in ahead of those two, so I think it'll be four of Sarries, Quins, Tigers, Saints and Bath.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Title edited.

Although England would seem to be looking very good in the funny rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm not sure you can rule out Northampton and Bath. I still don't back Exeter to get in ahead of those two, so I think it'll be four of Sarries, Quins, Tigers, Saints and Bath.
    Oh no, Northampton and Bath will definitely be in the running but I think, with the signings Exeter have made and how well they did last season, they could just pip Bath and Saints

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but we can't get carried away with ourselves, its about being good after 22 rounds not 3 so its still really hard to tell whose going to be up there and whose not.

Id go with a top 4 made up of; Sarries, Tigers, Chiefs, Bath, Quins, Wasps and I wouldn't rule out Gloucester tbf

at the minute out of that id go with Sarries, Tigers, Saints Quins but its anyones guess.

On the other side of the table, newcastle are looking to be in danger

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.