Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to send off my ucas application in the next week, and I am thinking of putting the University of Liverpool as my top choice for psychology after going to the open day and loving the university however after reading up on the university from a lot of online sites it's come to my attention that the university has quite a low student satisfaction for psychology. Apart from it being a red brick university and being in a city with a high student population, is the university any good for psychology?

ReputationRep:
    been comparing courses and its ranked 50ish out of all my choices ironically...think this russel group stuff is less important for psychology...i got an offer of ABB wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARaelle)
    Hi, I am going to send off my ucas application in the next week, and I am thinking of putting the University of Liverpool as my top choice for psychology after going to the open day and loving the university however after reading up on the university from a lot of online sites it's come to my attention that the university has quite a low student satisfaction for psychology. Apart from it being a red brick university and being in a city with a high student population, is the university any good for psychology?
    I went to Liverpool and did psychology in September and I left at Christmas, and I was trying to transfer to somewhere else about a month into the course!I made the mistake of visiting on a random day because I had missed open days/applicant days too. I really wish I had been able to look around the department because it isn't that great. The staff aren't too enthusiastic, and the PhD students are better teachers than the ones with experience. I really can see why the student satisfaction is so low - when I told friends on the course I was leaving they were jealous, and the week I left at least one other person did too.

The course starts off simple, really quite dull if you have done psychology A level. It does suddenly get a lot more complex with nothing explained particularly well by lecturers. You will be scanned into every lecture but then they don't seem to check up on this. There's a lot of research methods and statistics in 1st year which is similar at a lot of unis but some try to spread it out a bit, Liverpool throws it all at you straight away. The lectures usually involve around 550 people so are really impersonal and quite difficult to concentrate in.

I wouldn't focus too much on the Russell Group/Red Brick thing - I did and it was the worst mistake I've ever made. It was also a waste of £3,000 in fees and £2,500 in accommodation fees. I didn't feel like I got 3 grand's worth of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    been comparing courses and its ranked 50ish out of all my choices ironically...think this russel group stuff is less important for psychology...i got an offer of ABB wbu?
    I went to Liverpool and did psychology in September and I left at Christmas, and I was trying to transfer to somewhere else about a month into the course!I made the mistake of visiting on a random day because I had missed open days/applicant days too. I really wish I had been able to look around the department because it isn't that great. The staff aren't too enthusiastic, and the PhD students are better teachers than the ones with experience. I really can see why the student satisfaction is so low - when I told friends on the course I was leaving they were jealous, and the week I left at least one other person did too.

The course starts off simple, really quite dull if you have done psychology A level. It does suddenly get a lot more complex with nothing explained particularly well by lecturers. You will be scanned into every lecture but then they don't seem to check up on this. There's a lot of research methods and statistics in 1st year which is similar at a lot of unis but some try to spread it out a bit, Liverpool throws it all at you straight away. The lectures usually involve around 550 people so are really impersonal and quite difficult to concentrate in.

I wouldn't focus too much on the Russell Group/Red Brick thing - I did and it was the worst mistake I've ever made. It was also a waste of £3,000 in fees and £2,500 in accommodation fees. I didn't feel like I got 3 grand's worth of teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorm195)

applied too uea as my firm and essex as insurance (visiting essex next week)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.