Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is there no USB powered laptop charger? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why hasnt anyone invented a USB Powered Laptop Charger?

I mean Laptop requires 19V Input. Each USB gives 5V output. And each laptop has 4 USB ports. So why cant we connect them in series, get 15V and send it back to Laptop?

Some people argue that this may not be possible. Then think about this possibility. In a LAN game of 5 Laptops. Use USB ports of 4 laptops to power the remaining laptop.

This will be an Epic Invention, and I guess you can even get the Nobel Prize for it! This also helps in saving power in today's world!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i mean it can if there's mini solar panels on the USB sticks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The MS Surface range are

ReputationRep:
    The new HP Chromebook 11 for example use a USB port to power up.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10...chromebook_11/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    Some people argue that this may not be possible. Then think about this possibility. In a LAN game of 5 Laptops. Use USB ports of 4 laptops to power the remaining laptop.
    No offence dude, but I've heard better ideas come out of the rear end of a cow...

jk (I just really wanted to use that line), it kinda makes sense, but sounds a hell of a lot more impractical than traditional charging (hence why no-one's 'invented' it yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    Why hasnt anyone invented a USB Powered Laptop Charger?

I mean Laptop requires 19V Input. Each USB gives 5V output. And each laptop has 4 USB ports. So why cant we connect them in series, get 15V and send it back to Laptop?

This will be an Epic Invention, and I guess you can even get the Nobel Prize for it! This also helps in saving power in today's world!
    How does it help save power? The charge still came from somewhere, just being transferred via a different means. It would probably be less efficient and take longer than a traditional AC Adaptor.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.