Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

International Relations applicants 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There wasn't really a thread for international relations applicants, so I decided to open one.

Who's applying for IR? What university's? What are you currently studying? AS grades and predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for international relations! St. Andrews, KCL, SOAS and Warwick, and Social Studies at UCL. I've received an unconditional offer from KCL but are still waiting to hear from the rest.

I come from Sweden, currently studying my third year of a Master of Laws at a university here, but I want to complement my law studies with IR. So I'll have a double degree after finishing the IR course since I can count that course as a part of my Swedish LL.M.

Since Sweden has a different grading system it's hard to explain or translate my grades. I have the highest grade in 30/33 subjects. I have the second highest grade in the other 3 subjects. I'm guessing that is at least AAA since I got accepted at KCL.

I have a hard time finding out which university of the ones I've appled to that is the best at IR though. Costs, social life etc. comes second, the most important thing is that the univeristy is great at IR. Any tips or thoughts in case I get offers from several universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johananabanana)
    I'm applying for international relations! St. Andrews, KCL, SOAS and Warwick, and Social Studies at UCL. I've received an unconditional offer from KCL but are still waiting to hear from the rest.

I come from Sweden, currently studying my third year of a Master of Laws at a university here, but I want to complement my law studies with IR. So I'll have a double degree after finishing the IR course since I can count that course as a part of my Swedish LL.M.

Since Sweden has a different grading system it's hard to explain or translate my grades. I have the highest grade in 30/33 subjects. I have the second highest grade in the other 3 subjects. I'm guessing that is at least AAA since I got accepted at KCL.

I have a hard time finding out which university of the ones I've appled to that is the best at IR though. Costs, social life etc. comes second, the most important thing is that the univeristy is great at IR. Any tips or thoughts in case I get offers from several universities?
    Overall for IR St Andrews is considered most highly of those names however they are all strong unis &honestly reputation means nothing if you don't enjoy the course, so look at course content. SOAS for example focuses heavily on the middle east/africa, whilst Kings strengths like with military history. Then as far as location goes, Warwick is a relatively isolated campus uni, whilst St Andrews is in a small town. Totally different to the locations of the other three.

If you want further opinions try the Politics sub forum under social sciences.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.