Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The curve is given by the implicit equation xy^2 = 8, x>0. The line is the tangent at point P with coordinates (2,2) this line meets the curve again at Q.

(From various parts of the question
    dy/dx = -y/2x
    tangent at P dy/dx =1/2
    co-ordinates of Q (8,-1)
    parametric eq: x = 2t^2 , y=2/t
    dy/dx = -1/(2t^3) ...in terms of t

Question: Prove if k > 3 sqrcube(2) the line x +y = k cuts the curve in 3 places.

now they said the answer k > sqr^3(2) + 2sqr^3(2)
    but how does this show it cuts in 3 places exactly? Is it bcos it's sqr^3? But surely you wouldn't have to work all that out if that's all it is. I don't get it Thank you..

ReputationRep:
    See if you can work it out from the attached graph.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny W)
    See if you can work it out from the attached graph.
    The only line I can see that cuts 3 times is the second to top one? Um but 2nd intersect of the line, one of the x + y = 2.4 which is under k = 3.7.. ? hmm

ReputationRep:
    I mean I see how they got the answer:
    gradient of x + y = k is -1
    so dy/dx = -1 = -1/(2t^3)
    t = 1/[sqr^3(2)] so x and y are [sqr^3(2) , 2sqr^3(2)]
    so k > sqr^3(2) + 2sqr^3(2) but I don't see how this last line proves it cuts it at 3 points :confused: I think i'm missing something here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maisy)
    The only line I can see that cuts 3 times is the second to top one? Um but 2nd intersect of the line, one of the x + y = 2.4 which is under k = 3.7.. ? hmm
    The top line also cuts the curve three times (once outside the area of the graph). The bottom three lines each cut the curve once.

The "critical line" is the tangent T to the curve that has the form x + y = k. (This will have equation x + y = about 3.8, since it is slightly below x + y = 4.) Every x + y = constant line above T cuts the curve three times.

Therefore the problem is to find T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny W)
    The top line also cuts the curve three times (once outside the area of the graph). The bottom three lines each cut the curve once.

The "critical line" is the tangent T to the curve that has the form x + y = k. (This will have equation x + y = about 3.8, since it is slightly below x + y = 4.) Every x + y = k line above T cuts the curve three times.

Therefore the problem is to find T.
    Thanks I see it now. Well t = 1/[sqr^3(2)] so that gives you x and y [sqr^3(2) , 2sqr^3(2)] which is the points of the tangent I'm guessing so everything above that cuts 3 times.. is that all you can say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugaray)
    Thanks I see it now. Well t = 1/[sqr^3(2)] so that gives you x and y [sqr^3(2) , 2sqr^3(2)] which is the points of the tangent I'm guessing so everything above that cuts 3 times.. is that all you can say?
    t = 2^(-1/3) gives the point on the curve where T (equation, x + y = k) is tangent. That point is (2*2^(-2/3), 2/2^(-1/3)) = (2^(1/3), 2*2^(1/3)).

We still haven't worked out k. But since the point (2^(1/3), 2*2^(1/3)) is on T, its components must add up to k. So k = 2^(1/3) + 2*2^(1/3) = 3*2^(1/3) = 3.77976 (5dp).
    Attached Images

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.