The Student Room Group

Abortion right or wrong

Scroll to see replies

I feel like my view might stir up a lot of controversy however, I am pro-life and I only think that an abortion should take place when the mothers life is at risk. That being said, I do not wish for abortion to be abolished simply because people will revert back to old methods such as 'back-street abortion' and whatnot which essentially is even more ridiculous than getting an abortion.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's not necessarily a human life as there's controversy over what that is exactly in regards to a foetus.

I'm perfectly aware but in my eyes, it's a human life. Don't particularly care if there's controversy surrounding it.

In the UK it is illegal to have an abortion once the foetus is over 24 weeks old (except for rare circumstances where the mother's like may be endangered etc). It can be argued that the embryo isn't even properly developed yet, doesn't have consciousness and therefore isn't a human life. It can't even feel pain at that age.

I know, quit telling me stuff I already know.
If you only associate being human with feeling pain, then fine but I think a foetus is human before then.

Your next point is absurd. Why would people get abortions if they hadn't been careful when having sex? Contrary to what people may have told you, contraception is not 100% effective and therefore there is still the possibility of getting pregnant, despite not wanting to, even if all the necessary precautions are taken.

It may be absurd but it happens which is exactly why it annoys me. Nobody's told me anything, don't know where you got that one from.

What utter rubbish. If you're going to make a ridiculous claim that people use abortion as another form of contraception and that clinics increase the number of teen pregnancies then you'd better provide evidence for these claims if you don't want others to think you've made them up.

It's not rubbish, look it up if you don't believe me + as for the second point, prior to making it I did make sure that I stated it was just in my opinion that I felt that. There is no evidence, that's just what i believe. I don't care what others think.

Ultimately the woman should have control over her own body. What irritates me about your stance is that you're implying a woman should be a slave to her pregnancy and have no right to decide whether or not she wants to keep the child. Well unfortunately for you, she does have control.

Uhhh..I didn't say the woman shouldn't, I was just making points arguing pro-life since Drowzee made the comment about not understanding people who wouldn't want to be anything other than pro choice so I attempted explaining it wholly from their point of view. I'm not implying anything, so you can take that idea elsewhere. A slave to her pregnancy? Oh my. Did I state those words? Did I even mention that I overall believe the child's life is greater > mother's health. No, I don't think so either. You're saying my stance irritates you when you don't even know where I stand. Care to explain how that makes any sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But as already explained, most people who have abortions generally have not had careless sex thinking "Oh I'll just pop down to the abortion clinic and get one if I get preggerz!"

This is where contraception hasn't worked as well as of course cases where girls get pregnant by rape. What's your stance on this scenario?

No, but they are some people who think in that way- you can't just rule it out.

In my opinion, whether abortion is "right" depends upon circumstance - in scenarios such as mentioned above, I think it's acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
Agreed. And if the baby's life is in danger. Certainly not as an alternative to contraception.

Good point, If the baby is going to be born with serious birth defects then the NHS should cover that too.
Original post by XcitingStuart
No it's not. :colone:

Because...? (Or do you just not like PDA?)
Seriously GCSE English:
- Point
(- Evidence)
- Explain

Seriously it's getting annoying that TSR is incapable of doing this.

Can I debate with you about that in this thread, or a new thread then?

It is ugh. My opinion.
Lol what evidence is there of me to say why I dislike seeing it?
Also you're incapable of not wanting to hear what others have to say.

I do not wish to debate.

Original post by clumsyfooting
A woman doesn't get the 'urge' to be raped so it's not her fault if she is pregnant after rape - and you're saying she should have to have that rapist's child?

Do I have to repeat myself fgs?
For such cases then yes abortion is allowed. I'm not totally against it. What makes me annoyed is those who think it's okay to abort the baby because of "this and that". Stupid excuses.

Original post by Anon_98
It annoys me when people have sex carelessly just bc they know they are able to abort a child if something goes wrong. It's selfish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Original post by Romula
That's precisely the point. Most people, especially at the age of sixteen or seventeen, are not ready for a child. Some people are never ready, at twenty or thirty or forty. So forcing them to carry any pregnancy to term, whether or not it results from rape, will not only ruin their lives but the lives of their children.

Lol what a narrow minded response. They should have thought of it beforehand than to go off and enjoy the time of their life ****ing at the age of sixteen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MangoCrazy
It is ugh. My opinion.

I do not wish to debate.

For such cases then yes abortion is allowed. I'm not totally against it. What makes me annoyed is those who think it's okay to abort the baby because of "this and that". Stupid excuses.

This.

Lol what a narrow minded response. They should have thought of it beforehand than to go off and enjoy the time of their life ****ing at the age of sixteen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so basically, you're pro choice
Original post by MangoCrazy
It is ugh. My opinion.

I do not wish to debate.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you rather see an increased number of teenage girls dropping out of school and relying on your tax money to provide for their children?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anon_98
No, but they are some people who think in that way- you can't just rule it out.

Evidence for this?

In my opinion, whether abortion is "right" depends upon circumstance - in scenarios such as mentioned above, I think it's acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you're undermining your entire position. You've said you're against it because it's killing a human life.

If a girl gets raped, pregnant and then gets an abortion, she is still killing a human life, regardless of how she got pregnant. So we see that you don't even remain consistent in your reasoning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anon_98
I'm perfectly aware but in my eyes, it's a human life. Don't particularly care if there's controversy surrounding it.

A pretty odd position to take, especially as in most cases girls would get an abortion pretty quickly, meaning the thing inside her would only be a bunch of cells and wouldn't even resemble a human being.

This also contradicts your position concerning the rape scenario.

I know, quit telling me stuff I already know.
If you only associate being human with feeling pain, then fine but I think a foetus is human before then.

Fair enough.

It may be absurd but it happens which is exactly why it annoys me. Nobody's told me anything, don't know where you got that one from.

Have you got evidence that this happens or is this just another of the many fictitious claims you're making lately that you know the reason for, but won't tell?

It's not rubbish, look it up if you don't believe me + as for the second point, prior to making it I did make sure that I stated it was just in my opinion that I felt that. There is no evidence, that's just what i believe. I don't care what others think.

If it's not rubbish then can't you just save us all the work and post the links to the studies or journals that show this?

Pretty odd thing to say that. If you make a claim about something that can be measured then you're expected to provide evidence, this isn't you just stating a preference for something, these things don't require evidence. Your apparent inability to differentiate between preferences and claims about reality suggests your reasoning is absolutely abysmal and disjointed.

Uhhh..I didn't say the woman shouldn't, I was just making points arguing pro-life since Drowzee made the comment about not understanding people who wouldn't want to be anything other than pro choice so I attempted explaining it wholly from their point of view. I'm not implying anything, so you can take that idea elsewhere. A slave to her pregnancy? Oh my. Did I state those words? Did I even mention that I overall believe the child's life is greater > mother's health. No, I don't think so either. You're saying my stance irritates you when you don't even know where I stand. Care to explain how that makes any sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I do know where I stand, you're the one that seems terribly confused here, Anon.

You're of the opinion that women shouldn't be able to get abortions, right?

If that's the case then she clearly is a slave to her pregnancy because she has to go through with it even if she doesn't want to.

You really have to clarify your position, it's one or the other. If you're saying the woman should have the choice then you're pro-choice, if you're pro-life then you're saying she doesn't have the choice to terminate the pregnancy, so which is it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Do you find it more repulsive simply because you're (presumably) heterosexual yourself, and it's weird/not the norm/you can't relate?
Would you at all prevent/try to prevent two men kissing as a result of this repulsion, to a greater degree than a man and a woman?

No, i disagree with homosexuality and being intimate publicly (such as taking pictures and displaying it also)
If you're against it for religious or personal moral reasons, that is your right. However it should still be legal and readily available as a medical option for all women.Abortions may be needed for a number of medical reasons, not just the active choice of a woman. Regardless of the reason though, it is her right to control her body
Original post by ivy.98
If you're against it for religious or personal moral reasons, that is your right. However it should still be legal and readily available as a medical option for all women.Abortions may be needed for a number of medical reasons, not just the active choice of a woman. Regardless of the reason though, it is her right to control her body

We just did this last week in German hahah.. spent 5 lessons on it. God I'm sick of this topic now xDD
apart from cases of rape, if you didn't want a kid, maybe use contraception?:biggrin:
Original post by Student403
We just did this last week in German hahah.. spent 5 lessons on it. God I'm sick of this topic now xDD

Thats cool man, I wish my lessons were more like yours tbh :colondollar: we just learn about boring stuff :colonhash:
Original post by ivy.98
Thats cool man, I wish my lessons were more like yours tbh :colondollar: we just learn about boring stuff :colonhash:
Oh trust me it gets very boring :s-smilie: Especially when we have to do literature eww
Original post by kristen2
apart from cases of rape, if you didn't want a kid, maybe use contraception?:biggrin:

Doesn't always work
I'm personally opposed to it, however I think it is up to the individual to make the choice. Support should be given for people to make the right choice.
Original post by Student403
Oh trust me it gets very boring :s-smilie: Especially when we have to do literature eww

Ughh literature :erm: the feeling is mutual :angry:
Original post by 
No, i disagree with homosexuality and being intimate publicly (such as taking pictures and displaying it also)

Well then you're homophobic. :smile:
Original post by tmckinnin56
with abortion being a hot topic is it wrong to abort a foetus considering if u don't want the kid or u are up the duff by error what u think of the subject

posted from tsr mobile

if you don't want a kid then have protected intercourse..
No point killing an innocent soul..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending