Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Express Trusts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1. Geraint,a staunch Plaid Cymru supporter and butterfly collector, died last week. His will provided as follows

i)I give £100,000 in trust in equal shares for those of my relatives who votedPlaid Cymru in the general election of May 2010.

(ii)I give £200,000 to be distributed at my trustees’ discretion among such one ormore fan or fans of the Spice Boys [a well-known pop group] as my trusteesshall think fit and subject thereto in trust for Dylan absolutely. In the event of any dispute as to whethersomeone is a fan of the Spice Boys, such dispute shall be settled by thePresident of their fan club.

(iii)One of each of my rare butterflies to any person who shares my interests inboth politics and lepidopterology.

(iv)I give my residuary estate to be distributed, according to my trustees’consideration, among the people of Wales.Advisethe trustees.

-------

2. Anthony died recently leaving a will containing thefollowing clause:‘I devise my three freehold houses to Basil and Clarence, trusting that they will hold two of them for my daughter,Daphne, whichever she may select, and the remaining one for my son, Edward.’

Daphne died before Anthony. Advise Edward.
    ------

How on earth do I go about answering these questions? Is there a specific layout, or way of answering them step-by-step?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaaaamees)
    1. Geraint,a staunch Plaid Cymru supporter and butterfly collector, died last week. His will provided as follows

i)I give £100,000 in trust in equal shares for those of my relatives who votedPlaid Cymru in the general election of May 2010.

(ii)I give £200,000 to be distributed at my trustees’ discretion among such one ormore fan or fans of the Spice Boys [a well-known pop group] as my trusteesshall think fit and subject thereto in trust for Dylan absolutely. In the event of any dispute as to whethersomeone is a fan of the Spice Boys, such dispute shall be settled by thePresident of their fan club.

(iii)One of each of my rare butterflies to any person who shares my interests inboth politics and lepidopterology.

(iv)I give my residuary estate to be distributed, according to my trustees’consideration, among the people of Wales.Advisethe trustees.

-------

2. Anthony died recently leaving a will containing thefollowing clause:‘I devise my three freehold houses to Basil and Clarence, trusting that they will hold two of them for my daughter,Daphne, whichever she may select, and the remaining one for my son, Edward.’

Daphne died before Anthony. Advise Edward.
    ------

How on earth do I go about answering these questions? Is there a specific layout, or way of answering them step-by-step?
    I think it's best to answer sub-question by sub-question; question 2 focuses on a part of the law which is very much separate from that in question 1. If there is any repetitions in the points/explanations you are trying to make (such as the requirements for a valid trust) then you can just refer the marker to the above section where you have explained it.

In the words of Rowley Brikin QC, I'm currently very drunk and thus am unable to give you specific points in the law until quite some time later (if you still need it).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.