Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm in my AS year now and I'm hoping to study Biology at Cardiff uni, it says that they show a preference for candidates with Biology along with Chemistry although it isn't a requirement to have A-Level chemistry. The entry requirements are between AAB - ABB. I was just wondering, because I'm only wanting to do AS chemistry, would I even stand a chance of getting in? I known i'd definitely need an like an A in biology to compensate for not having chemistry. Do any biology students have any stories of how they got in, what A-levels they took etc? Also, do you think 6A 3B and 1C are good enough GCSE results to get in?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Hello!
    I'm in my AS year now and I'm hoping to study Biology at Cardiff uni, it says that they show a preference for candidates with Biology along with Chemistry although it isn't a requirement to have A-Level chemistry. The entry requirements are between AAB - ABB. I was just wondering, because I'm only wanting to do AS chemistry, would I even stand a chance of getting in? I known i'd definitely need an like an A in biology to compensate for not having chemistry. Do any biology students have any stories of how they got in, what A-levels they took etc? Also, do you think 6A 3B and 1C are good enough GCSE results to get in?
    Thanks!
    I've got an offer for Cardiff for biology starting in 2016, I take A level Biology (predicted A grade) and I dropped Chem at As, (it was only a C grade) so it should be fine. I'm predicted ABB (A in Bio, and B in Geog and Philosophy) and I got offered ABB, so yes, you definitely have a chance! My GCSE grades weren't that different from yours either, so good luck in your As' and uni applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv27)
    I've got an offer for Cardiff for biology starting in 2016, I take A level Biology (predicted A grade) and I dropped Chem at As, (it was only a C grade) so it should be fine. I'm predicted ABB (A in Bio, and B in Geog and Philosophy) and I got offered ABB, so yes, you definitely have a chance! My GCSE grades weren't that different from yours either, so good luck in your As' and uni applications
    Thanks for your reply! That's great, well done! I'm actually considering dropping chemistry now and not even completing the AS - the truth is that I'm not really enjoying it and I feel like I don't really need it that much to study Biology at Cardiff so that alone demotivates me! I really enjoy Psychology and I emailed them and they said that Psychology would be an acceptable second science when I apply in 2017, which is great! Those grades are amazing! What did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in Bio and Philosophy and C in Chem and Geography I was kinda expecting those grades at the time, but it retrospect I should have done better! :/ I'm retaking a unit in Bio and Geog so hopefully I can get my predicted grades! I would recommend you stick with Chem as it becomes very useful in A2 bio and the Biochem units in your first year of uni, even if you only get a C like I did! It's definitely not essential if you're doing Psychology too, but it makes things easier if you know basic chemistry! Hope that helps and good luck with your A levels

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.