Announcements

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen...hp-/1140416930

ReputationRep:
    It depends why you want to buy it...

ReputationRep:
    Faked emissions...

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not currently registered as a UK car despite it being RHD, which is why it's listed as "spares or repairs". You can pick a decent MOT'd B5 Passat up for not much more than that anyway, and tbh if you can't afford £500-1000 to buy the car in the first place, then you probably can't afford to run it.

ReputationRep:
    A passat is never a good buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    A passat is never a good buy.
    I happen to quite like mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I happen to quite like mine
    Well you're a bit odd like that.

ReputationRep:
    '98 Passat with post 2000 plates? Sorry... Scratch that, post 2010 plates.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I'd ask for pics of the VIN number and do a VIN check personally. For all you know it could be a stolen car put on Spanish plates.

I mean, look at it "runs well... New battery, New clutch". Clutches aren't cheap and you certainly don't get them put on cars you're going to sell for spares... Granted, cars this old do go cheap, but seriously? Sounds very fishy to me. Though again, maybe I'm overthinking things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    '98 Passat with post 2000 plates? Sorry... Scratch that, post 2010 plates.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I'd ask for pics of the VIN number and do a VIN check personally. For all you know it could be a stolen car put on Spanish plates.

I mean, look at it "runs well... New battery, New clutch". Clutches aren't cheap and you certainly don't get them put on cars you're going to sell for spares... Granted, cars this old do go cheap, but seriously? Sounds very fishy to me. Though again, maybe I'm overthinking things.
    Or, seeing as it's RHD, it was his car in Britain which he shipped to Spain a few years ago and registered post-2010, and thus ended up with plates that age.

And he might have liked the car (obviously had it for a few years) and put some money into it, only to find out something else was wrong with it and it wasn't worth continuing to dump cash into it.

I'm not saying OP should buy it, there are definitely better purchases out there, but stuff like that isn't always bad.

ReputationRep:
    Still better than any limited edition corsa out there

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not worth it, but you can't tell from the advert. The chances are it will need work to pass an MOT and even with an MOT it will be worth very little because it's fairly high mileage and because the paint is knackered. The seller also hasn't said anything about the passenger window, but it's obviously fubared.

You would also need to sort out getting it registered in the UK,

ReputationRep:
    Avoid buying cars on Gumtree. This advert seems suspicious.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.