Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed watch

Announcements

I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years. She suffers seriously from depression and social anxiety. Before us she never had a boyfriend or any other encounters.

When we met I was unaware of her problems and as we went on I supported her with all I day, physically and mentally. I have tried to boost her confidence, and anything else I can do. Yes, when it gets too much I've been a bit mean, as we both have, but that's life, and in this situation we've done fairly well.

However things don't seem to be like they used to be. The moods seem to be more regular, longer and worse. She has now left college (after taking 2 years out previously) and is now doing exactly what she did during that time. I try help her to look for a job etc but she says she'll do it so I let her. She doesn't listen to any advice or support I give anymore.I get 3/4 hours sleep a night as I stay up with her online trying to cheer her up.

There's more to it but hopefully you get the general understanding.

I have just started uni and met a couple of great people, who I chatted to all day. All day my gf was happy, and a few hours ago she turned, suddenly, telling me to go away and not talk to me. Recently it's all getting too much for me. I feel I don't love/want her anymore yet she'll back around and it makes me happy. Please none of that 'you have to take her with the bad too' as I have for 2 years and it gets worse and worse.

However I don't feel as if I could leave her when she spends all day at home, no job, and is seriously depressed and suicidal.

I needed to get this off my chest and any advice would be very useful please

ReputationRep:
    I'll like to say this quickly as i've been suicidal myself in the past;

If you know her that well and you know what she's capable of, you shouldn't take this depression/suicidal thing lightly and be sure to keep an eye on her like you are doing already. Now, i know you have other things doing and you can't be watching her 24/7 and stuff like that, but then i'll advice you seek professional help as soon as possible!. This is the only way to "free yourself" and help her at the same time.
    If not, things might only get worse and as you've already explained, it looks like the situation is getting out of hands already.

When i was depressed and suicidal years ago, i had my guy best friend knock some sense into me and this was the only reason i didn't go through with killing myself.

That's why i said You being there is a good thing, but that cannot continue forever.
    Like i said earlier, seeking professional help is the best option right now as there might be a root cause for all of this (probably unknown to you and even her).

Hope this helps! : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years. She suffers seriously from depression and social anxiety. Before us she never had a boyfriend or any other encounters.

When we met I was unaware of her problems and as we went on I supported her with all I day, physically and mentally. I have tried to boost her confidence, and anything else I can do. Yes, when it gets too much I've been a bit mean, as we both have, but that's life, and in this situation we've done fairly well.

However things don't seem to be like they used to be. The moods seem to be more regular, longer and worse. She has now left college (after taking 2 years out previously) and is now doing exactly what she did during that time. I try help her to look for a job etc but she says she'll do it so I let her. She doesn't listen to any advice or support I give anymore.I get 3/4 hours sleep a night as I stay up with her online trying to cheer her up.

There's more to it but hopefully you get the general understanding.

I have just started uni and met a couple of great people, who I chatted to all day. All day my gf was happy, and a few hours ago she turned, suddenly, telling me to go away and not talk to me. Recently it's all getting too much for me. I feel I don't love/want her anymore yet she'll back around and it makes me happy. Please none of that 'you have to take her with the bad too' as I have for 2 years and it gets worse and worse.

However I don't feel as if I could leave her when she spends all day at home, no job, and is seriously depressed and suicidal.

I needed to get this off my chest and any advice would be very useful please
    i think that you helped her and thats good, but you dont deserve that for ever.
    you should meet some new people, and think a bit more about you.

Thanks you

ReputationRep:
    If she has depression, has she considered antidepressants? It's very difficult for depression to go away on its own

Unfortunately she kind of tried therapy but it made her worse, and she completely refuses to take anti-depressants

To be honest, if it's draining you this much it doesn't sound like it's a healthy relationship for either of you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.