Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can boys and girls be best friends without an attraction? watch

Announcements

So, my best friend at uni is a girl. She's very pretty, and people think that based off each other's snapchat stories/facebook posts that we're a couple (she's got a bf). Anyway I was talking with a male friend, and he said that he didn't believe heterosexual males and females could be best friends.

I'm just wanting to hear some views? (I do think she's very attractive, my bet friend that is).

ReputationRep:
    absolutely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, my best friend at uni is a girl. She's very pretty, and people think that based off each other's snapchat stories/facebook posts that we're a couple (she's got a bf). Anyway I was talking with a male friend, and he said that he didn't believe heterosexual males and females could be best friends.

I'm just wanting to hear some views? (I do think she's very attractive, my bet friend that is).
    Yeah, it can happen I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't like the fact that other people do though, it makes me sad that conclusions are always jumped to that friendships like that can't be a thing :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    If both of you are not attracted to each other then yes it can work but as you are attracted to her it may end up weird later on down the line or you may just work it out

ReputationRep:

I think the real question is...do you have any feelings towards this girl?

ReputationRep:
    I think you will inevitably feel some kind of attraction towards them, but that's it. I have attractive male friends but the thought of having a crush on them feels foreign to me.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how to feel about this since I'm in exactly the same position. Except we act more like a couple rather than best friends. So when people ask if we're going it out it gets awkward. But to answer your question OP, yes it's possible although they may be an attraction you dont have to act on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes but its very hard.

if one is gay and other straight

if one is 2/10 and other is 8/10

ReputationRep:
    Yes obviously if there is 'no attraction'. But you've already mentioned you find her pretty, so you need to ask yourself whether you have any feelings for her. You may develop feelings for her further down the line, which probably won't turn out well!!

Personally from my experience, you can be 'just friends' as long as you both know where each other stand and have absolutely no romantic feelings. However, sometimes it's not as simple as you at first think unfortunately.

Maybe this helped XD Good luck )))

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of a video I once watched where it kinda showed that males will always want to have sex with females therefore the male will always want to be more than friends but its easier for females to stay friends because their main goal isn't sex. If that even makes sense. I wish I remembered the title of that video!

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, I have a very close male mate and we have been friends for 4 years now. Plus, he's the longest I kept as a mate.

(Original post by serah.exe)
    I have a male (straight) best friend and we have been best friends for 14 years .
    Same but for 9 years. And I can't imagine him more than a friend lol. So yes the answer is girls and guys can be just friends

ReputationRep:
    100% can be friends but it can get weird if one becomes attracted to the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by WaywardWriter)
    I have no idea how to feel about this since I'm in exactly the same position. Except we act more like a couple rather than best friends. So when people ask if we're going it out it gets awkward. But to answer your question OP, yes it's possible although they may be an attraction you dont have to act on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that's basically us, it's a bit awkward that she's got a bf yet it would look like I'm the boyfriend

bump

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible if the girl is like above a 5/10. can confirm.

Unless the guy is gay, the girl is a <5 or the yute has some medical ting, i.e: asexuality.

(Original post by serah.exe)
    I have a male (straight) best friend and we have been best friends for 14 years .
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOL my man is balls deep in that decade zone :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06sulraj)
    It's possible, I have a very close male mate and we have been friends for 4 years now. Plus, he's the longest I kept as a mate.
    ur mate secretly wants you. I can confirm if he's single.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Possible unless there is an attraction

ReputationRep:

don't take this as offense but your male friend is stupid ...... of course you can be best friends with heterosexual males and females without having feelings in that way for each other if your friends then don't care what anyone else thinks

(Original post by Anonynmous)
    ur mate secretly wants you. I can confirm if he's single.
    im sorry but opposite sexes and same sexes can be just friends

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.