Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! Economics or Economics with Accounting? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So the BSc Economics with Accounting course provides exemptions from numerous useful exams like; ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA and ICAEW.

Where as the BSc Economics course doesn't?

Which one?????? (At City University btw)

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you want to be an accountant or not. Little point taking the 'with accounting' unless you intend to pursue that route as a profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisP97)
    Depends if you want to be an accountant or not. Little point taking the 'with accounting' unless you intend to pursue that route as a profession.
    Ohh okay, I'm open to any job in the finance sector really. But aren't the exemptions from specific exams somewhat of a massive boost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiimas)
    Ohh okay, I'm open to any job in the finance sector really. But aren't the exemptions from specific exams somewhat of a massive boost?
    It's only a boost if you're going to be taking those exams. And you'll only be taking those exams if you're training to be a chartered accountant or something similar. Employers won't care if you're exempt from certain accounting exams if you're applying for a non-accountancy finance job

ReputationRep:
    It's only a boost if you're going to be taking those exams. And you'll only be taking those exams if you're training to be a chartered accountant or something similar. Employers won't care if you're exempt from certain accounting exams if you're applying for a non-accountancy finance job
    Oh right. I thought the ACCA, CIMA (and such exams) were recommended for anyone who wants to venture into the finance sector. Am I wrong then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. I thought the ACCA, CIMA (and such exams) were recommended for anyone who wants to venture into the finance sector. Am I wrong then?
    IMO its pointless to choose one degree over another on the grounds that you will be exempted from certain exams if you don't know whether you will be pursuing those qualifications when you enter the workplace. If I were you, I'd first work out the type of finance job I want, and work out whether within that career you would be pursuing an ACCA or equivalent qualification. Being exempt from certain exams will be of no use if you are not taking that qualification.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They are unnecessary, it's only occasionally that ACCA qualified Big4 accountants move into finance.

Accounting exams are useful for becoming an accountant.

That said, having a sound knowledge of accounting will help a lot if you want to go into IB or corporate finance, especially for the interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IMO its pointless to choose one degree over another on the grounds that you will be exempted from certain exams if you don't know whether you will be pursuing those qualifications when you enter the workplace. If I were you, I'd first work out the type of finance job I want, and work out whether within that career you would be pursuing an ACCA or equivalent qualification. Being exempt from certain exams will be of no use if you are not taking that qualification.
    Oh okay, thanks for all of that info!
    So what about careers in the following 'sectors';
    - Tax- Consulting- Audit- Assurance- Advisory- Banking (Commercial, Retail, Private etc)Would the ACCA etc be useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    They are unnecessary, it's only occasionally that ACCA qualified Big4 accountants move into finance.

Accounting exams are useful for becoming an accountant.

That said, having a sound knowledge of accounting will help a lot if you want to go into IB or corporate finance, especially for the interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I see okay.
    Would the Big 4 and etc normally encourage you to take the exam(s) after they employ you?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ah I see okay.
    Would the Big 4 and etc normally encourage you to take the exam(s) after they employ you?
    You get hired to be put on a three year training scheme, specifically aimed at passing the ACCA exams. After you're 'qualified' (i.e. you passed) your salary jumps quite a bit (more if you move into industry) and the prospect of IB or other corporate finance opportunities start to crop up.

Obviously, you can get into IB straight from undergrad by getting on the required internships, then converting to a graduate scheme offer but at least you still have that avenue open if you choose the Big4/strike out on IB but end up with a Big4 offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You get hired to be put on a three year training scheme, specifically aimed at passing the ACCA exams. After you're 'qualified' (i.e. you passed) your salary jumps quite a bit (more if you move into industry) and the prospect of IB or other corporate finance opportunities start to crop up.

Obviously, you can get into IB straight from undergrad by getting on the required internships, then converting to a graduate scheme offer but at least you still have that avenue open if you choose the Big4/strike out on IB but end up with a Big4 offer.
    Cool, thanks for the help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.