The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperion
I haven't done FP2-3 and I could solve it with C4...

He is saying that because double IBP is very similar to how you find reduction formulae in FP3. Nothing knowledge-related to be honest, just experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2041
Original post by hank_the_tank
(IAL)
hmm wt i remember is this

1. Method of difference 5/51
2. Inequality
3 1st order
4,5,6 series + second order + transformation
7 polar graph
8 cosine
9 complex graph

Hey we meet again! LOL
I couldn't find any threads about IAL FP2 so i'm going to post my answers here!
i remembered some of the questions asked in this paper and the answers i have written were not nice at all :frown: i might have calculated some of the values wrongly...

1a,b) method of differences: partial fractions and prove
c) 5/51

2) Inequality: -1-√11 < x < -2 OR -1+√11 < x < 4

3) 1st order d. equations: y=(1+x)^(-k) [ 2x^(3/2)/3 + 2x^(5/2)/5 + C ]

4a) Series: f(x) = 1 - 9(x-π/3)^(2)/8 + 27(x-π/3)^(4)/128
b) 0.4815 (to 4 d.p) - i think i wrote 1.5xxx in my paper and it's wrong :frown:

5a) 2nd order d. equations: y = Ae^-x + Be^-2x + 17/4 - 7x/2 + 3x^(2)/2
b) I couldn't remember the values of x, y and dy/dx so idk LOL
I do remember the value of one of the constants is -5 though.

6) Transformation: (-5/8,0) for centre, 7/8 for radius
is there a part b) for question 6? If so, what is it about?

7a) Polar: (3√3/4, π/6)
b) Area: 105π/32 - 45√3/8

8a,b) Prove by de Moivre's theorem
c) I couldn't recall the limits, but if it's 0 and π/6, the value will be 203/408.. but i think there's xx√3 too

9a) Complex no.: Sketch graph
b) (√58 + 3√2)/2 (ARGH I FELT SO DEPRESSED WHEN MY MATHS TEACHER SHOWED ME THE SOLUTION OF THIS because I got it wrong t_t)

hope this helps :smile:
and i wish the grade boundaries will be lower since I've made a lot of careless mistakes sigh
Original post by fpmaniac
When would I do the 4th unit? Would good unis disregard me if ive taken 3 years to complete my a levels (im taking a gap year anyways).

Well I guess not getting an A* in Further Maths will affect you getting into Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick etc. but I mean if you're taking a gap year then you could resit FP2 next year? or any others which you don't get what you want in. What I mean by a 4th A2 unit in Further Maths is say for example I do better in M1 and D1 than in both M2 and D2. The M1 and D1 will be used towards the Mathematics A level and the M2 and D2 will be used towards my Further Mathematics A level. So I will have 4 A2 units (FP2 FP3 M2 D2) in my Further Maths A level. Of the 4 of these, 3 of them need to total 270 UMS for an A*.
Original post by BinaryJava
I did the integral but forgot the +c meaning I have lost loads of marks for finding the particular solution.

You'll still have gained the Method marks from that point onwards though
Original post by Insight314
He is saying that because double IBP is very similar to how you find reduction formulae in FP3. Nothing knowledge-related to be honest, just experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, must've missed that point, thanks for that

Original post by Student403
Nice! :redface: You'll do well in C4 for sure :yep:

Fingers crossed! :tongue:
For part c on 4 (the first differential question) I used my answer from part a and equated r p and q to things in the part c equation. Will I get any marks ? Cheers
Original post by nthyy

Agree with all your solutions. I made just as many careless mistakes as you. Reckon I'm getting 70-ish.
Partial Fractions come up in FP2 and C4.

If partial fractions come up in the C4 exam do we say it's an FP2 fraction?

the point is, the partial fractions are really easy, they dont ask for ones like 3+4x/x(x+1)^2(3-x), they are hard questions,similarly they can only test your integration skills upto a certain point. for example that question was testing if we could solve differential equations not if we can integrate complicates things

I also havent learn fp3 so that makes life a lot harder.

The FP2 book says on chapter 2 that you will not require any FP1 standard results for FP2. guess what, we did.
Original post by chandlerr
For your Further Maths A level, you need to get 270 UMS points in 3 different A2 Units. For example, I need 270 UMS in FP2, FP3 and M2 to get an A*. So I think that for you to get an A* you need to have 4 A2 units in your Further Maths A level. Because say for example you get 100 UMS on FP3 and M2, you need 70 UMS in FP2, which is a B. If you were doing 4 A2 units then essentially you would ignore your FP2 mark and get 270 UMS in the other 3 A2 units. That's my understanding anyway

Wait... FP2 isn't required to be an A2 module?
I could use M3, S2 and M2?
If so, praise baby jesus.
Original post by hazzam
the point is, the partial fractions are really easy, they dont ask for ones like 3+4x/x(x+1)^2(3-x), they are hard questions,similarly they can only test your integration skills upto a certain point. for example that question was testing if we could solve differential equations not if we can integrate complicates things

I also havent learn fp3 so that makes life a lot harder.

The FP2 book says on chapter 2 that you will not require any FP1 standard results for FP2. guess what, we did.

What FP1 standard results did we use?
Original post by Windowswind123
Wait... FP2 isn't required to be an A2 module?
I could use M3, S2 and M2?
If so, praise baby jesus.

There's no such thing as your 3 "AS" modules in FM. So long as you have 3 A2 modules + FP1 (indeed M3, S2 and M2 count), you're fine
Original post by Full UMS Terry
Mate that was easy, I don't know what exam you took but that was definitely 100 UMS once again. Not sure what uni would let someone in with a B in FP2, certainly not the big ones like Cambridge and Hull!!
Good luck either way.

Predicted grade boundaries?
Original post by nthyy
Hey we meet again! LOL
I couldn't find any threads about IAL FP2 so i'm going to post my answers here!
i remembered some of the questions asked in this paper and the answers i have written were not nice at all :frown: i might have calculated some of the values wrongly...

1a,b) method of differences: partial fractions and prove
c) 5/51

2) Inequality: -1-√11 < x < -2 OR -1+√11 < x < 4

3) 1st order d. equations: y=(1+x)^(-k) [ 2x^(3/2)/3 + 2x^(5/2)/5 + C ]

4a) Series: f(x) = 1 - 9(x-π/3)^(2)/8 + 27(x-π/3)^(4)/128
b) 0.4815 (to 4 d.p) - i think i wrote 1.5xxx in my paper and it's wrong :frown:

5a) 2nd order d. equations: y = Ae^-x + Be^-2x + 17/4 - 7x/2 + 3x^(2)/2
b) I couldn't remember the values of x, y and dy/dx so idk LOL
I do remember the value of one of the constants is -5 though.

6) Transformation: (-5/8,0) for centre, 7/8 for radius
is there a part b) for question 6? If so, what is it about?

7a) Polar: (3√3/4, π/6)
b) Area: 105π/32 - 45√3/8

8a,b) Prove by de Moivre's theorem
c) I couldn't recall the limits, but if it's 0 and π/6, the value will be 203/408.. but i think there's xx√3 too

9a) Complex no.: Sketch graph
b) (√58 + 3√2)/2 (ARGH I FELT SO DEPRESSED WHEN MY MATHS TEACHER SHOWED ME THE SOLUTION OF THIS because I got it wrong t_t)

hope this helps :smile:
and i wish the grade boundaries will be lower since I've made a lot of careless mistakes sigh

Cheers! Agree with all of yours, I think I'm looking at around 71-ish.
What FP1 standard results did we use?

Sum of r from 1 to n but it's on the formula sheet so I don't think it's valid to complain about.
And maths is synoptic anyway.
Sum of r from 1 to n but it's on the formula sheet so I don't think it's valid to complain about.
And maths is synoptic anyway.

That's C1 is it not?

Sn of an arithmetic series is n/2 (a + l) where a = 1 and l = n
There's no such thing as your 3 "AS" modules in FM. So long as you have 3 A2 modules + FP1 (indeed M3, S2 and M2 count), you're fine

Do you need to do either FP2 or FP3 for FM?
Original post by hazzam
Technically that was an FP3 integral.

Pretty sure it's a c4 integral.
Do you need to do either FP2 or FP3 for FM?

Yes
That's C1 is it not?

Sn of an arithmetic series is n/2 (a + l) where a = 1 and l = n

Yup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending