The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicss
You could use implicit differentiation but normally I would just square root to get plus minus r and go from there like usual, hope that helps :smile:

How would you solve this question:
Find the polar coordinates of the points on r²=a²sin2θ where the tangent is perp. to the initial line
Original post by Patrick2810
I think you do this

find x^2 or y^2, where x^2= r^2sin^2(theta) and y^2=r^2sin^2(theta)

then you can differentiate implicitly, so for example you'd have 2y dy/d(theta) = f'(theta) => dy/d(theta) = f'(theta)/2y, and since it equals 0 the numerator must equal zero so you just put f'(theta)=0 and forget about the 2y

Thanks ill try that
I can give a decent stab at them but would you say drawing polar graphs is fairly unlikely?
I think you do this

then you can differentiate implicitly, so for example you'd have 2y dy/d(theta) = f'(theta) => dy/d(theta) = f'(theta)/2y, and since it equals 0 the numerator must equal zero so you just put f'(theta)=0 and forget about the 2y

I think you do this

Actually i dont know if that works having tried that.
The question is:Find the polar coordinates of the points on r²=a²sin2θ where the tangent is perp. to the initial line
Original post by fpmaniac
How would you solve this question:
Find the polar coordinates of the points on r²=a²sin2θ where the tangent is perp. to the initial line

Hope this helps, sorry it's so messy! Didn't know what the range of theta values was so haven't written a final answer, let me know if you need any more help :smile:image.jpg
Original post by economicss
Hope this helps, sorry it's so messy! Didn't know what the range of theta values was so haven't written a final answer, let me know if you need any more help :smile:image.jpg

Theyve got the answers for θ to be pi/6 and pi/2. Thats what you got but how do you know which values to choose. Also what did you do with r =,-a root (sin2θ). Thanks
Original post by fpmaniac
Theyve got the answers for θ to be pi/6 and pi/2. Thats what you got but how do you know which values to choose. Also what did you do with r =,-a root (sin2θ). Thanks

You would choose the values in the principal argument range normally so between -pi and pi! I think the negative value of r is ignored because r is always assumed to be positive in FP2 and is ignored otherwise, hope that helps :smile:
Reply 847
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I can give a decent stab at them but would you say drawing polar graphs is fairly unlikely?

Haven't seen much of these, I would like to say that it's unlikely..
I think its partially because if they get you to sketch it, there would be no way for them to ask to find the area of a certain shaded bit. Missing out on an opportunity to put a ~8 mark question in the paper
Reply 848
3 DAYS TO GO!

Good luck all :biggrin:
Original post by Rkai01
image.jpg
Would you happen to know how to go about 11b. I feel dumb because it's a hence question but I can't integrate with the sqrt and by substitution becomes awkward.

This is what I think you're meant to do since it asks to estimate. image.jpg
anyone know where to find complex transformation questions, ive done all the ones in the book and past papers but theyre usually the hardest part for me so i want to practice more
Original post by SeanFM
Not easy to explain :tongue: other than looking at what they've done.

the 'middle term' for r = k is cancelled out by combining the 'last term' in r = k-1 and the 'first term' in r = k +1, so you work through up to r = 4 and you see that the only term at the start that isn't cancelling out is 1/2.

Then you work towards the end (starting from n-2).

So for r=n-2 everything cancels out (as you have the 'first term' below it and the 'last term' above it so the middle term is cancelled out, the 'first term' in r=n-2 is used up in cancelling out the previous 'middle term' and the last one is used in cancelling out the 'middle term' in r = n-1.

Similar logic in r=n-1 for the first and second term, but the third term is only half of the middle term in r = n so it only 'half cancels' it.

which is why you get 1/(n+1) - 2/(n+1) = -1/(n+1) as one of the terms in the summation.

and then for r=n the 'middle term' half cancels (as before) and the first one is used up, and the last one does not do anything as there needs to be something below it.

wow, thanks a lot!
Which IAL papers are available??

Is it just
june 14
june 15
jan 16
Original post by AmarPatel98
Which IAL papers are available??

Is it just
june 14
june 15
jan 16

I think its just june 14 and june 15
Hi guys, I don't understand question 6a of June 2014 R. I've looked at the mark scheme but I still don't get it. Could someone show me the working please? I would be extremely grateful

fp2 question.png
https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

Question 6b, so |z| = 3 maps to the circle and now we have to sketch |z| < 3 - if anything id thought itd be inside the circle but its every but inside. Could someone explain this please?
Original post by imnoteinstein
https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202009%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

Question 6b, so |z| = 3 maps to the circle and now we have to sketch |z| < 3 - if anything id thought itd be inside the circle but its every but inside. Could someone explain this please?

but what is the equation of the circle C? (after the transformation)
Original post by ddbrain
Hi guys, I don't understand question 6a of June 2014 R. I've looked at the mark scheme but I still don't get it. Could someone show me the working please? I would be extremely grateful

fp2 question.png

is it y=1 ?
Reply 858
Original post by ddbrain

fp2 question.png

Hey! Which part don't you understand?

Personally, I went with the first alternative in the mark scheme:

Isolate z in the transformation

Let z = x + iy, let w = u + iv, then let v = -1 as required

Simplify down to have Re + Im = Re + Im on both sides

Solve to find y (hint: on both sides of the equation, the real parts must be equal and the imaginary parts must be equal).

Reply 859
Original post by target21859
This is what I think you're meant to do since it asks to estimate. image.jpg

No that's correct. Why did it shuffle down to that expression?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending