Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

External/internal direct product of groups watch

ReputationRep:
    What is the internal and external direct product of groups? I understand that the external product of groups is the Cartesian product of the groups and where the binary operation is such that (a1,b1) ⊕(a2,b2) = (a1a2,b1b2) but I'm not sure about the internal direct product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    What is the internal and external direct product of groups? I understand that the external product of groups is the Cartesian product of the groups and where the binary operation is such that (a1,b1) ⊕(a2,b2) = (a1a2,b1b2) but I'm not sure about the internal direct product.
    I vaguely recall those, but really, unless it's specified for your course or something, I wouldn't worry about it: it literally makes no difference. It is a theorem that direct products of groups are unique up to unique isomorphism. The whole internal/external thing is going to be just two ways of looking at the same construction, but isn't really all that illuminating.

ReputationRep:
    The motivation here is that If you have two groups N_{1} and N_{2} sitting on your desk, then you can form their external direct product G; you seem comfortable with that.

On the other hand, what happens if you have a group G wandering around the office and you wonder to yourself whether it is isomorphic to some external direct product of two groups? This is where the internal direct product comes in. If you can find two normal subgroups N_{1} and N_{2} that satisfy certain properties (their intersection is trivial and their product is G), then G is the internal direct product of N_{1} and N_{2} and G is isomorphic to the external direct product of two groups isomorphic to N_{1} and N_{2}.

So, basically, they are two different ways of looking at the same thing? Nearly. For the product of two groups, or for the product of a finite number of groups, the notions correspond. But if you were to start off with an infinite family of groups, then things become trickier and the correspondance between external and internal direct product doesn't go through in the same way. (It can be rescued, though, with some careful definition!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    The motivation here is that If you have two groups N_{1} and N_{2} sitting on your desk, then you can form their external direct product G; you seem comfortable with that.

On the other hand, what happens if you have a group G wandering around the office and you wonder to yourself whether it is isomorphic to some external direct product of two groups? This is where the internal direct product comes in. If you can find two normal subgroups N_{1} and N_{2} that satisfy certain properties (their intersection is trivial and their product is G), then G is the internal direct product of N_{1} and N_{2} and G is isomorphic to the external direct product of two groups isomorphic to N_{1} and N_{2}.

So, basically, they are two different ways of looking at the same thing? Nearly. For the product of two groups, or for the product of a finite number of groups, the notions correspond. But if you were to start off with an infinite family of groups, then things become trickier and the correspondance between external and internal direct product doesn't go through in the same way. (It can be rescued, though, with some careful definition!)
    How do you work out the internal direct product?

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out the internal direct product?
    I'm not completely sure what you're asking here: are you asking "how do we find the N_{1} and N_{2} such that G is the internal direct product of N_{1} and N_{2}?" or are you asking "given N_{1} and N_{2}, how to we reconstruct G?"...or something else?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.