Turn on thread page Beta

Peculiar fixation with words! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh boy here we go...

For at least the past 5 years i have been blighted with these strange compulsions related to words and the English language in general ; these include: a need to regularly repeat a list of words that i "like" , a need to state a sentence then repeat it whilst subtly changing the structure and replacing the words with their respective synonyms. Also, really bizarrely, i tend to get jealous or angry if one of my friends uses what i would consider advanced vocabulary

In general my family and friends have just passed these of as personality quirks (especially the repeating what i've already said) but i am worried that these "quirks" might hinder my ability to form friendships or ,god forbid, start to behave oddly in an interview situation.

I have scoured the net and apparently i am the only person with thee..,deviances shall we say. its also kind of ironic that this post ended up being really long as i tend to go in a very roundabout way when explaining things.

If anyone can offer advice on how to manage this i am all ears.

ReputationRep:
    I have a massive list of favourite words.
    Slightly replace words with their respective synonyms.
    Semantics are also important.

I think I am like you to a certain extent (just not to the same degree.)

About the "being jealous of friends using advanced vocabulary" I have no idea, as it hasn't really been applicable. Might be, might not be I honestly don't have a clue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.