Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will the Russian Air Force (RuAF) take me as a pilot? watch

ReputationRep:
    Welcome all,

Its been just about my lifelong dream to become a military pilot and I am currently in my final year of secondary education here in Scotland (United Kingdom). I've been checking the RAF/RN/AAC recruitment news regularly and have found a common trend of budget cuts and both pilot and aircraft redundancies (not to mention how competitive competition already is...), which for an already academically struggling student makes it even more difficult to get enlisted.

I've recently began looking around other militaries (with significant airforces) which recruit foreigners as a last resort and found that:

Denmark:
    • Recruits Foreign Nationals living in Demark into Danish Armed Forces,
    • Must have a good command of Danish language,
    Canada:
    • It is reported that Royal Canadian Air Force hires foreign pilots to fly front-line military aircraft on operational capacity (presumably recruits ex-military pilots only),
    Russia:
    • Russian Armed Forces accepts foreigners of any country into their ranks on five-year contracts and will be eligible for citizenship after three years,
    • Must have a good command of Russian language,
    • Must have a clean criminal record.

After scraping the surface with research into joining the most promising Air Force, the RuAF, I am still unsure if they recruit pilots and sites such as www.eng.mil.ru don't give much information either. Would anyone here be able to enlighten me on whether they accept foreigners as pilots and/or further elaborate on this?

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Section80)
    Welcome all,

Its been just about my lifelong dream to become a military pilot and I am currently in my final year of secondary education here in Scotland (United Kingdom). I've been checking the RAF/RN/AAC recruitment news regularly and have found a common trend of budget cuts and both pilot and aircraft redundancies (not to mention how competitive competition already is...), which for an already academically struggling student makes it even more difficult to get enlisted.

I've recently began looking around other militaries (with significant airforces) which recruit foreigners as a last resort and found that:

Denmark:
    • Recruits Foreign Nationals living in Demark into Danish Armed Forces,
    • Must have a good command of Danish language,
    Canada:
    • It is reported that Royal Canadian Air Force hires foreign pilots to fly front-line military aircraft on operational capacity (presumably recruits ex-military pilots only),
    Russia:
    • Russian Armed Forces accepts foreigners of any country into their ranks on five-year contracts and will be eligible for citizenship after three years,
    • Must have a good command of Russian language,
    • Must have a clean criminal record.

After scraping the surface with research into joining the most promising Air Force, the RuAF, I am still unsure if they recruit pilots and sites such as www.eng.mil.ru don't give much information either. Would anyone here be able to enlighten me on whether they accept foreigners as pilots and/or further elaborate on this?

Thank you for your time.
    Just to address your points in order:

- What nationality are you?

- Do you speak Danish?
    - Do you live in Denmark?
    - Would you be willing to kill people of your own nationality on behalf of the Danish?

The Canadians only recruit ex or current-mil who are already trained up. Sorry

- It is highly unlikely that the Russians of all people would allow a random foreigner to become an Officer in their Air Force let alone potentially fly one of their top aircraft, however:
    - Do you speak Russian?
    - Just glancing at the news for the past year or so, would you be willing to kill people of your own nationality on behalf of the Russians?

It is also worth pointing out that National Armed Forces don't really like recruiting foreigners (Commonwealth aside) for anything other than basic grunt-work (FFL, US Army, probably the Russians), especially ones that don't seem to have any particular allegiance. Pilots have to undergo strict background checks and invasive interviews and probing into their private lives to be allowed unrestricted access to potentially nation-destroying equipment and information. That sort of trust isn't handed out lightly to one's own people let alone a random person who 'just wants to fly planes'.

Food for thought

ReputationRep:
    I think the key question comes down to your loyalties....

Do you want to be with the good guys or the bad guys.

ReputationRep:
    x
    From your post it sounds like you do not think you'd be good enough to be recruited into the RAF, so what makes you think you'd be good enough for the Danish or Russian Air Force?

The standard of recruit is still going to be exceptionally high for pilots and I imagine that while both may well be open to recruiting foreigners that they will strongly favour recruits from their own country.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to ask here, the answer is almost certainly no. But then you knew that already.

ReputationRep:

Its been just about my lifelong dream to become a military pilot

Really?

Have you been in the Air Training Corp for 7 years?
    Reached the rank of Cadet WO?
    Got your PPL nearly complete?

There are plenty of pilots being selected for every year for the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anderson134353)
    Really?

There are plenty of pilots being selected for every year for the RAF.
    ATC and PPL experience don't really count for much, sorry to burst your bubble. They are a small part of being a well rounded individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unruly1986)
    ATC and PPL experience don't really count for much, sorry to burst your bubble. They are a small part of being a well rounded individual.
    I didn't say they were. If op has a passion for flying especially in the RAF then 1) he would have flying experience, likely been in the ATC, and would have known the answers to the questions he is answering.

Most pilots on my IOT were 18/19 years old with a lot of ATC history.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in the Scottish ACF for 2-3 years, and the ATC for one.

Sergeant.

I've got a dozen flight hours and a handful of commercial charter pilot contacts and have also just finished long-term work experience at an established airport.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.