Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking into self-teaching it to myself, but after looking online I've heard that it would be better be taught to avoid learning bad habits. What do you guys think of this?

So my question now is where would I learn to play the piano in London. I'm an adult and I'm curious as to what it would cost. How long do you think it would take me to get to a level I can start self teaching things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    I was looking into self-teaching it to myself, but after looking online I've heard that it would be better be taught to avoid learning bad habits. What do you guys think of this?

So my question now is where would I learn to play the piano in London. I'm an adult and I'm curious as to what it would cost. How long do you think it would take me to get to a level I can start self teaching things.
    You might be able to find a local teacher in your area. My piano teacher charged me £19 per hour. It is true that you might learn some bad habits if you self teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    You might be able to find a local teacher in your area. My piano teacher charged me £19 per hour. It is true that you might learn some bad habits if you self teach.
    How does it work for you? Do you just go over and she has the piano?

Don't you think if I learnt the basics from a teacher, to grade 5, I could then go onto teach myself the more complex stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    How does it work for you? Do you just go over and she has the piano?

Don't you think if I learnt the basics from a teacher, to grade 5, I could then go onto teach myself the more complex stuff?
    Well it worked out pretty well since I am at Grade 7 at the moment. My piano teacher has a piano at her house so I would just go to her house for the lesson. I would recommend you learn the basics from a teacher and then continue learning up to grade 5 or 6 with a teacher. From then on you should be experienced enough to learn pieces of music by yourself.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.