Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depressed after breakup watch

Announcements

Hello,

I was seeing my boyfriend for about a year and all of a sudden I had a text last week to say that he misses his family (i.e. ex and kids) so is going back with them... Devastated but I also do not want to break up a family...

He wants to remain friends and I would like that too, but knowing he is shacked up with his ex is driving me insane... I have stopped eating, I don't eat very much...

I don't know what to do....

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Lover can't be friends again (It is not reversible process)

I suggest go outside with friends and enjoy your life because he is not worth it. Don't remain alone . Don't do the things which you are used to do with your boyfriend because it make you remember him more.

Go ahead life is not going to end today or tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Right now, what you need is no contact with him. Although in an ideal world being friends is a good thing, if you try to do this you will suffer and be eaten up inside knowing that he chose his ex. You need to get him off your mind as much as possible. You know he is not the one you will spend your life with, or he would've stayed with you. Knowing this, you must accept that you will find someone better for yourself in future.

In the future, you will wish you'd look after yourself more in these times. Break ups happen, but the one person you'll always have is yourself. So take of yourself, eat when you need it, even when you do not think you can stomach it, you are going to survive this. And you are going to be stronger having done so. You know all the good times he gave you? The right one (and he will come!) will give you so many more of them.

Cutting contact is the best thing you can do now. Treat it like an addiction, go cold turkey, suffer through the heartbreak but in the knowledge that the pain is temporary (as all things) and more happiness will come to you in your future. You may decide later that you wish to be friends with him, but I'd suggest to wait, until you can think of him with his ex and not feel any hint of emotion at all. You can do this. So go eat something and live your life, you only have one after all.

ReputationRep:
    He broke up with you by text after being with you for a year...you don't need someone like that in your life. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarperJamie)
    shut up
    lol HarperJamie

ReputationRep:
    Don't stop eating! Dumping by text is really lame.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    'Remaining friends' just means that both of you would find it difficult to let go of eachother completely in a short space of time, but if you think about it chances are there are little to no benefits of it, and you feel bad if you still have feelings for them.

I would suggest cutting off contact, blocking his number / delete everything, and never speak to him again.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. You can't be friends, don't force it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STARRS)
    Don't stop eating! Dumping by text is really lame.
    not if you're Zayn Malik

ReputationRep:
    Look, don't waste your time. You're going to find someone who won't leave you. A guy with all that baggage is going to be a lot of weight on your shoulders, even if you're together and happy. He will definitely not want you back seeing you emaciated in the corner.
    One day you'll look back at this and wonder why you gave a ****
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello,

I was seeing my boyfriend for about a year and all of a sudden I had a text last week to say that he misses his family (i.e. ex and kids) so is going back with them... Devastated but I also do not want to break up a family...

He wants to remain friends and I would like that too, but knowing he is shacked up with his ex is driving me insane... I have stopped eating, I don't eat very much...
    You can do better, telling you over text like that is cowardly, I would completely cut all contact with him.

Thank you all for your replies, it has been much appreciated.

I met him or coffee today as I needed some answers -- I needed closure and it was the best thing I ever did!!

He was laughing and joking and even was telling me about his GF (who he's gone back too)... Why would I ever give anyone the time of day who would do that to me?

(Original post by libbylangham)
    Look, don't waste your time. You're going to find someone who won't leave you. A guy with all that baggage is going to be a lot of weight on your shoulders, even if you're together and happy. He will definitely not want you back seeing you emaciated in the corner.
    One day you'll look back at this and wonder why you gave a ****
    Very true

(Original post by SeanFM)
    'Remaining friends' just means that both of you would find it difficult to let go of eachother completely in a short space of time, but if you think about it chances are there are little to no benefits of it, and you feel bad if you still have feelings for them.

I would suggest cutting off contact, blocking his number / delete everything, and never speak to him again.
    You're comment is the one that really helped me....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.