Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on self teaching and then taking A-level exams?
    Specifically history and Classical civilization. I know that I should first select an examining body, how much info do they supply on the subject matter, or do they just give a brief (within reason) outline of what the exams will be on?
    Thanks for any help
    Tim,

(Original post by Timmy2686)
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on self teaching and then taking A-level exams?
    Specifically history and Classical civilization. I know that I should first select an examining body, how much info do they supply on the subject matter, or do they just give a brief (within reason) outline of what the exams will be on?
    Thanks for any help
    Tim,
    You'd have to check if any schools or colleges in your area are okay with taking a private candidate to sit A Levels first of all -- and then see which exam board they do. It's unlikely that many schools/colleges will let you do a subject like history, which requires coursework to be done for most exam boards, without formally enrolling on their history course.

You could look into CIE (Cambridge International) A Levels. They don't have a coursework component and depending on where you live, you might find, as I have, a place a reasonable distance away that's willing to take private candidates for almost any subject and almost any exam board.

As for information on the subject matter: I haven't checked but I suspect most exam boards would provide a specification and some other materials on their website. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmy2686)
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for any help
    Tim,
    Hiya,

Last year I self taught AQA AS Philosophy and managed to get a B. My old college were great and allowed me to sit the exams there and didn't charge me any admin fees so I only had to pay the £22 for the exam, a lot of places will charge admin fees however - one other college I approached quoted £50 plus the £22 so its worth asking around.

If you're under 19 I'd definitely recommend enrolling on a course full time, the support you get from having teachers and contact hours and someone who understands the mark scheme is irreplaceable really. If you're over 19 I'd still say try and find a course that offers adult A Levels, I've just started an A Level course age 21 and although its ridiculously expensive its so much better than self teaching.

If you do decide to self teach though the exam board websites are really useful. They all have the specification which details what topics and time periods to cover and some have a Scheme of Work which is much more specific about what information you need to learn and what textbooks to use which is really important especially in History as interpretations of the facts vary so much between different historians and you need to know what interpretations the examiner will be looking for when marking your paper.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.