Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are my GCSE grades good enough to do medicine at UCL? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies as I know a lot of people dislike reading threads like these. It's just that I really haven't found anyone who has the same circumstances as I do and I've done a LOT (extra emphasis on the word 'LOT') of research and came out with nothing. Whilst I understand that GCSEs don't play a big factor in applications in some Uni's, I haven't found anyone that's gone to a 'prestigious' Uni with GCSE grades similar to, or worse than mine. Here's what I got:
    English literature: B
    Maths: A
    English Language: A
    French: A
    German: A
    RE: A
    Chemistry: A
    Biology: B
    Physics: B
    History: B

I've also seen that UCL like people who are into languages, would it work in my favour that I got an A in English language, German and french?
    Thank you in advance! 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TianaEsther)
    Apologies as I know a lot of people dislike reading threads like these. It's just that I really haven't found anyone who has the same circumstances as I do and I've done a LOT (extra emphasis on the word 'LOT' of research and came out with nothing. Whilst I understand that GCSEs don't play a big factor in applications in some Uni's, I haven't found anyone that's gone to a 'prestigious' Uni with GCSE grades similar to, or worse than mine. Here's what I got:

I've also seen that UCL like people who are into languages, would it work in my favour that I got an A in English language, German and french?
    Thank you in advance! 😊

I presume they would be fine,what you need to do is go to the UCL website find your course and then look at the entry requirements Remember GCSES are not that big (apart from Unis perhaps Oxbridge and imperial) and hardly looked upon if AS/A2 grades are available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real_jenn)
    I presume they would be fine,what you need to do is go to the UCL website find your course and then look at the entry requirements Remember GCSES are not that big (apart from Unis perhaps Oxbridge and imperial) and hardly looked upon if AS/A2 grades are available.
    Thank you for your response! And I've looked at UCL's requirements for medicine, thankfully I've fulfilled them all. I'm currently doing my AS, the subjects that I've chosen are Maths Biology Chemistry German and I'm also doing the Extended Project Qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response! And I've looked at UCL's requirements for medicine, thankfully I've fulfilled them all. I'm currently doing my AS, the subjects that I've chosen are Maths Biology Chemistry German and I'm also doing the Extended Project Qualification.
    That's great! 👌🏻👌🏻
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got pretty much identical to you and got into UCL (this was for psych not medicine though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Got pretty much identical to you and got into UCL (this was for psych not medicine though)
    Ahh okay, I heard that psychology is also very competitive so that's also reassuring 😅 how are you enjoying your time there?

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, you should look at unis like ST.Georges.
    Also, UCL want you to take bio and chem for a level which are now 2 year courses.
    GCSEs play a bigger role now.
    You should apply when the time comes but might not get any offers.

ReputationRep:
    this is bad advice. you clearly dont know very much about medicine applications and medical schools. please only give advice if you have sufficient knowledge/experience.

Apologies as I know a lot of people dislike reading threads like these. It's just that I really haven't found anyone who has the same circumstances as I do and I've done a LOT (extra emphasis on the word 'LOT' of research and came out with nothing. Whilst I understand that GCSEs don't play a big factor in applications in some Uni's, I haven't found anyone that's gone to a 'prestigious' Uni with GCSE grades similar to, or worse than mine. Here's what I got:

Thank you in advance! 😊
    to be brutally honest, these grades do leave you disadvantaged. however, fortunately, UCL takes a holistic approach which means that if you excel in other aspects you could still be in with a chance of an interview. they particularly like good AS results and may check your UMS scores. hence, my advice would be to work extremely hard at your A Levels achieving AAAA with high UMS in all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbyturtlexox)
    this is bad advice. you clearly dont know very much about medicine applications and medical schools. please only give advice if you have sufficient knowledge/experience.

to be brutally honest, these grades do leave you disadvantaged. however, fortunately, UCL takes a holistic approach which means that if you excel in other aspects you could still be in with a chance of an interview. they particularly like good AS results and may check your UMS scores. hence, my advice would be to work extremely hard at your A Levels achieving AAAA with high UMS in all.
    I get where you're coming from, it's hard to predict what kind of approach they would have to this now seeing as I won't be able to take my AS exams in biology and chemistry due to the change in the education system.

ReputationRep:
    I get where you're coming from, it's hard to predict what kind of approach they would have to this now seeing as I won't be able to take my AS exams in biology and chemistry due to the change in the education system.
    oh yes! i forgot to consider this. im a medical student at UCL so when i was applying they used my AS results as a big part! i guess they will base this judgement on your reference and what your teachers predict you to get based on mocks/assessments? So i would still stay try very hard. I think the important thing to accept is that your gcses don't leave you in the best position so you must pick your choices wisely (apply to your strengths).

ReputationRep:
    oh yes! i forgot to consider this. im a medical student at UCL so when i was applying they used my AS results as a big part! i guess they will base this judgement on your reference and what your teachers predict you to get based on mocks/assessments? So i would still stay try very hard. I think the important thing to accept is that your gcses don't leave you in the best position so you must pick your choices wisely (apply to your strengths).
    Yeah you're completely right. Do you think that it would put me at an advantage for having done 3 languages at GCSE and also doing German for an AS? 😄

Apologies as I know a lot of people dislike reading threads like these. It's just that I really haven't found anyone who has the same circumstances as I do and I've done a LOT (extra emphasis on the word 'LOT') of research and came out with nothing. Whilst I understand that GCSEs don't play a big factor in applications in some Uni's, I haven't found anyone that's gone to a 'prestigious' Uni with GCSE grades similar to, or worse than mine. Here's what I got:

Thank you in advance! 😊
    UCL takes a holistic approach to applications, unlike a lot of other medical schools who prefer to focus on one or two aspects when deciding who to interview. If you do well on other parts of your application, you'd have a good shot at interview and, with UCL medicine, an interview is a bigger deal than at other universities because the competition is almost 2:1 because they only interview 700 - 800 people and then make about half that number in offers. At a lot of other medical schools, you're looking at numbers like 5:1 even at interview and much more before that.

I don't think you could afford to muck up any other part of your application though -- you'd need to get good AS grades, write a good personal statement, do well on the BMAT (I have it on the 4th and let me tell you now that it's not what you'd do for fun), get a decent reference and then, if called to interview, do well on that.

I was anxiously looking at last year's UCL medical applicants' thread and one person on there had received an interview invite with below average BMAT scores (less than 4 on section 1 and exactly 4 on section 2, if I remember correctly) and something like 4 A*s (and a few others) at GCSE and predictions of 40/45 on the International Baccalaureate. Just shows you that they're holistic about it.

About the languages thing: while it is a requirement for UCL students to have a language GCSE, they're non-fussy about that and will let you in anyway provided they think you're good enough -- they won't let it slide though. They'll expect you to make up for that by doing some language classes while at UCL. The AS in German works in your favour, however, because it says on their website that some preference is given to applicants who offer a slightly broader range of A Levels, which is bad news for me because I did all sciences and mathematics.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. You can only go to London Metropolitan with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    you need high biology and chemistry, B may be enough

ReputationRep:

What do you mean bad advice!? What is so bad about looking at the prospective university's entry requirements,to see what is the least required to even have a chance studying the chosen course(how can you call that bad advice when that is the only advice I have given and what is so bad about looking for the requirements to allow one to study a certain course? )Secondly,note that I "presumed" that her grades are okay and may not put her at a HUGE disadvantage.Thirdly,you just repeated what I said but in a different form, I also stated that the emphasis of the allocation of courses are more hugely looked upon at AS/A2 grades (I certainly did not mention that GCSES are not looked upon AT ALL)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're completely right. Do you think that it would put me at an advantage for having done 3 languages at GCSE and also doing German for an AS? 😄
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    with UCL medicine, an interview is a bigger deal than at other universities because the competition is almost 2:1 because they only interview 700 - 800 people and then make about half that number in offers.
    yes, your languages will be of benefit to you but tbh its not THAT big of a deal! its a slight preference so i wouldnt bank on that to balance out the gcse thing.

and to further emphasise your point, hydeman, only 700 are interviewed and 500 are made offers. so getting an interview is such a big deal that the odds of getting an offer, if you recieve an interview, are in your favour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    UCL takes a holistic approach to applications, unlike a lot of other medical schools who prefer to focus on one or two aspects when deciding who to interview. If you do well on other parts of your application, you'd have a good shot at interview and, with UCL medicine, an interview is a bigger deal than at other universities because the competition is almost 2:1 because they only interview 700 - 800 people and then make about half that number in offers. At a lot of other medical schools, you're looking at numbers like 5:1 even at interview and much more before that.

I don't think you could afford to muck up any other part of your application though -- you'd need to get good AS grades, write a good personal statement, do well on the BMAT (I have it on the 4th and let me tell you now that it's not what you'd do for fun), get a decent reference and then, if called to interview, do well on that.

I was anxiously looking at last year's UCL medical applicants' thread and one person on there had received an interview invite with below average BMAT scores (less than 4 on section 1 and exactly 4 on section 2, if I remember correctly) and something like 4 A*s (and a few others) at GCSE and predictions of 40/45 on the International Baccalaureate. Just shows you that they're holistic about it.

About the languages thing: while it is a requirement for UCL students to have a language GCSE, they're non-fussy about that and will let you in anyway provided they think you're good enough -- they won't let it slide though. They'll expect you to make up for that by doing some language classes while at UCL. The AS in German works in your favour, however, because it says on their website that some preference is given to applicants who offer a slightly broader range of A Levels, which is bad news for me because I did all sciences and mathematics.

Good luck.
    That was extremely informative!! Thank you so much! Honestly you've helped a lot. Good luck with your BMAT exam! Let me know how it goes 😄

ReputationRep:
    yes, your languages will be of benefit to you but tbh its not THAT big of a deal! its a slight preference so i wouldnt bank on that to balance out the gcse thing.

and to further emphasise your point, hydeman, only 700 are interviewed and 500 are made offers. so getting an interview is such a big deal that the odds of getting an offer, if you recieve an interview, are in your favour!
    This does sound very reassuring! It's almost as if, if you get an interview you're guaranteed a place if you don't mess up. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean bad advice!? What is so bad about looking at the prospective university's entry requirements,to see what is the least required to even have a chance studying the chosen course(how can you call that bad advice when that is the only advice I have given and what is so bad about looking for the requirements to allow one to study a certain course? )Secondly,note that I "presumed" that her grades are okay and may not put her at a HUGE disadvantage.Thirdly,you just repeated what I said but in a different form, I also stated that the emphasis of the allocation of courses are more hugely looked upon at AS/A2 grades (I certainly did not mention that GCSES are not looked upon AT ALL)
    Don't worry I appreciate your advice.😊

ReputationRep:
    yap yap yap
    "Remember GCSES are not that big (apart from Unis perhaps Oxbridge and imperial) and hardly looked upon if AS/A2 grades are available."
    this comment led me to believe that your knowledge on med applications is extremely limited. that's why i told you to stop giving advice when you are in no position to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.