Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel like my dad hates me. I'm always being friendly and understanding towards him, but he always acts like he wishes I simply wasn't around.

He'll descend into a screaming rage over the tiniest things - for example, I've just washed my hands and on the way to the towel a single, small drip of water falls onto the floor - literally, a sole, single drip - and the moment he spots it, he begins screaming and shouting that I "need to clear up my bloody mess" and when I say "yes, okay, I'll do it in a second once I finished drying my hands", he often responds with something along the lines of "no, it's not okay, you'll bugger off upstairs and leave me to do it". He has no reason to say this as I always clean up any mess I make as soon as possible - it's like he is more or less scraping at the bottom of the barrel for things to have a go at me for.

He is determined to have me out of the house on his days off work and never seems happy to see me. He often calls me an idiot and makes me feel like everything is my fault. He overreacts to the smallest things, such as me taking a 15 minute break from my revision to get a cup of tea. When my mother gently voiced her concern to him about how little free time I have and said "he's not getting a social life with all the work he's doing", his response was "so?".

I'm nearly through my A2 Studies, so hopefully I can move out into Uni Halls and be free soon, but how can I cope with him in the meantime? I've tried every possible tactic over my life to avoid antagonising him, but nothing's worked. If I come home and study until bed and make no problems, he'll practically make up something.

Can anyone give me any advice? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    just ignore him. or ask him why he treats you like the way he does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinfr)
    just ignore him. or ask him why he treats you like the way he does.

I've ignored him for years! As far as he's concerned, he's not treating me in any particular way. He's shouting at me because "otherwise I won't do things" - I would do these things if he stopped shouting. In fact, I'd be a lot more willing to if he'd just ask nicely.

ReputationRep:
    He's shouting at me because "otherwise I won't do things" - I would do these things if he stopped shouting. In fact, I'd be a lot more willing to if he'd just ask nicely.[/QUOTE]

see exactly just say these things, if that doesn't work then just deal with it for a little longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyFalcon)
    I feel like my dad hates me. I'm always being friendly and understanding towards him, but he always acts like he wishes I simply wasn't around.

He'll descend into a screaming rage over the tiniest things - for example, I've just washed my hands and on the way to the towel a single, small drip of water falls onto the floor - literally, a sole, single drip - and the moment he spots it, he begins screaming and shouting that I "need to clear up my bloody mess" and when I say "yes, okay, I'll do it in a second once I finished drying my hands", he often responds with something along the lines of "no, it's not okay, you'll bugger off upstairs and leave me to do it". He has no reason to say this as I always clean up any mess I make as soon as possible - it's like he is more or less scraping at the bottom of the barrel for things to have a go at me for.

He is determined to have me out of the house on his days off work and never seems happy to see me. He often calls me an idiot and makes me feel like everything is my fault. He overreacts to the smallest things, such as me taking a 15 minute break from my revision to get a cup of tea. When my mother gently voiced her concern to him about how little free time I have and said "he's not getting a social life with all the work he's doing", his response was "so?".

I'm nearly through my A2 Studies, so hopefully I can move out into Uni Halls and be free soon, but how can I cope with him in the meantime? I've tried every possible tactic over my life to avoid antagonising him, but nothing's worked. If I come home and study until bed and make no problems, he'll practically make up something.

Can anyone give me any advice? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    This is emotional abuse. Talk to your mum about it. However you are at an awkward age. Try getting in touch with Childline as they know their stuff and will be able to advise you.

Do you have any family living nearby? If so, would you be comfortable with asking them to mediate between you and your dad. You may be better off moving in with them so you can have some peace.

You don't have to put up with this. It is emotional abuse and it is illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

From reading this, I can tell that you're a sweet heart and you truly desire to make your father happy. Dear, we're probably the same age but I want you to know- you seem like an amazing child to have. The compassion and patience expressed from these few paragraphs, wow, I really do not know how you've coped. Your father is an extremely lucky man as he has a child who is genuinely concerned about him loving them and wanting affection from his parent. His lucky you actually listen, replying to him politely while following instructions given by him. I think he needs to realise and understand what he has.Take me for example, I am not the greatest child for my parents though they are a very loving set of people, I am blessed to have them as parents. I even know many teenagers and young adults rebelling against their parents...even those who are blessed enough to have the most understanding, caring parents in the world and it's a tragic.

My advice is for you to speak to your mother about this issue because this is sounding quite abusive. If you feel closer to her, explain to her how you feel and if she could speak to your father. Hopefully it will result in the whole family discussing about the issue, concluding to a resolve and change. You should not be feeling this way at all in your own home, especially with your own family (father). I'm so sorry about the situation. I wish I could help as this type of situation touches me deeply on a personal level. Praying for you x

My dad was the same, he would find anything to moan about. He always washed his hands in the kitchen over the washing up bowl. If I did this he would say 'dirty get, go upstairs'. I'd get called a lazy *******, a 'thick bigger' and a '*****' for things like having the fire on full when I was cold. After he hit me on the head I told him I wasn't going to speak to him again so I stopped speaking to him and 10 years later I still don't speak to him lol. Although it's not really that I still hold the grudge I'm just embarrased to suddenly start talking to him after all this time despite living in the same house. I can be quite odd but can't help how I am.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.