Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am at a university in central London, and I am absolutely hating it!
    I want to be somewhere where I am happy, enjoying myself and having a 'normal' student life.
    My parents won't let me leave I don't know what to do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizmoo0721)
    I want to be somewhere where I am happy, enjoying myself and having a 'normal' student life.
    In what way won't your parents "let you leave"? It's your decision in principle, but if you're dependent on them for financial or practical support, I can see that you might have to go along with their wishes to some extent.

If this is your first year, then as long as you don't start the second year you will still have enough Student Finance to study a new degree from scratch. How would your parents react if you "failed" your first year? They needn't know that it was accidentally-on-purpose - it wouldn't be entirely unexpected if you're this unhappy and they know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    In what way won't your parents "let you leave"? It's your decision in principle, but if you're dependent on them for financial or practical support, I can see that you might have to go along with their wishes to some extent.

If this is your first year, then as long as you don't start the second year you will still have enough Student Finance to study a new degree from scratch. How would your parents react if you "failed" your first year? They needn't know that it was accidentally-on-purpose - it wouldn't be entirely unexpected if you're this unhappy and they know it.
    My mum is just telling me how stupid I am and how I should go an get a job instead. My dad also thinks it's the wrong decision to make
    I'm only dependent on them because I am commuting, which I didn't even want to do in the first place. I wanted accommodation but couldn't afford it.

This is my first year, and tbh why would I waste so much time to fail purposely? I could get a job, some experience instead of wasting so much time to do that.

They know I want to leave, but are making me feel stupid by wanting to do that>..

ReputationRep:
    My mum is just telling me how stupid I am and how I should go an get a job instead. My dad also thinks it's the wrong decision to make
    I'm only dependent on them because I am commuting, which I didn't even want to do in the first place. I wanted accommodation but couldn't afford it.

This is my first year, and tbh why would I waste so much time to fail purposely? I could get a job, some experience instead of wasting so much time to do that.

They know I want to leave, but are making me feel stupid by wanting to do that>..
    It's worth thinking about the cost of accommodation elsewhere. Have you checked that out and compared it with the Maintenance money that you'd get? Many students find that their SF loans don't cover their rent and they have to work part-time. It may not be a problem which is limited to unis within commuting distance. Before you go further, make sure that it would't be"out of the frying pan, into the fire". If it isn't a financial possibility, then you have no dilemma other than staying at your current uni, living with your parents and doing a degree part-time with the OU while you work, or giving up on the idea of uni until you are finacially and emotionally independent.

If your parents are just exerting the psychological influence that you describe, then it's within your power to ignore them. You know you aren't stupid. If your parents didn't go to uni, they aren't speaking with any kind of understanding or knowledge. You're an adult now. If they choose not to treat you as such, that's their decision. But ultimately, if you could practically go to a new uni without their support, it's your decision as to whether you do or not. Your parents are irrelevant.

As I said before, if you'd continue to be practically dependent on them in any way (would you need to go back to them during holidays, for example?) then they will have to co-operate to some extent and you need to be sure that this would happen. Otherwise, it's really up to you to find the strength of character to live your life the way you see fit. Nobody can do that for you.

ReputationRep:

leave and go somewhere you like (work for a year) some coastal towns are quite nice and Southampton is really affordable some company's may even fund you which would mean you have a job for a bit after you graduate as long as you get a particular grade.

ReputationRep:

What aspects are you hating?
    Have you made friends?
    Is your chosen degree what you wanted?
    Give it another term and change your attitude.Focus on the bigger picture,find happiness in you and everything else will fall into place.
    All the best

ReputationRep:
    If you were living in I would say 'normal student life?' You're in London, a culturally great city - what more do you want?

However, I can understand your frustration at not having a 'normal' student life if you commute.

By the sound of it, your mum is actually saying leave and get a job?

If I was in your position, do the following:-

Find out whether your Uni will offer you accommodation at the start of your 2nd year. If yes, then get a part time job/holiday job (1st year is relatively easy) and get saving! Then you can have the 'student experience' from next September. People won't care you're in your 2nd year, trust me!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.